Workflow Timing and Email question RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am new to this forum but will try to be concise in my questions. I am somewhat new to SPD and workflows so these maybe easy questions for some of you please bear with me. I am using WSS 3.0 and SPD 2007. I am also not a programmer in any sense and as such have little or no practical knowledge of Visual Studio.

1. Let me try and explain the process. A user inspects a location and then when they have finished their inspection they use a custom list to record data. When user1 finishes they set a value in the list from FALSE to TRUE. This then fires off a workflow to email User2 that they need to audit User1's work. The problem is this there are specific user2's that are assigned to audit  specific locations but they change frequently as this is a large facility. In a perfect world I would like User1 upon completion(changing field value from FALSE to TRUE)  to be able to use a people picker to select which user2 they will send the notification to. I have tried to follow Charles Lee's blog advice here (http://www.simple-talk.com/community/blogs/charleslee/archive/2009/10/28/75810.aspx) but have had no luck in implementation. Does anyone know a good way to accomplish this?
    2. In this same list the user1 is required to complete their work by day 20 of each month. I have been trying to work with the worflow variables but see no way to setup a variable as you can in say outlook where it sets a meeting on X day of every month. Does this functionality exisit and if so how could I accomplish this.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Kevin

• Moved by Wayne Fan Monday, February 28, 2011 8:00 AM It's SharePoint 2007 issue, thanks. (From:SharePoint 2010 - Using SharePoint Designer, Infopath, and other customization)
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, March 4, 2011 5:55 AM SPD questions except workflow do go to the customization forum, but workflow questions always go to the workflow forum. It is also better to have a single question per thread (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hey Kevin,

I believe the example blog you cited is only necessary when you want to use the People Picker from a workflow initiation form.  Since your users can go directly from a list this technique won't be required.  In you list add a people picker and make it a mandatory field.  In your workflow add a Send E-mail action and then in the To of the e-mail, choose Workflow Lookup, Current Item, and then your People Picker field.  Save your changes and retest.

For the second part of your question you need to set up a timer ooop, please review the blog I wrote as a way to begin this design discussion:

http://sharepointgypsy.blogspot.com/2011/01/sharepoint-designer-workflows-3.html?utm_source=BP_recent

I hope that helps!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Dorn Friday, March 4, 2011 1:22 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:23 PM

All replies

• Hey Kevin,

I believe the example blog you cited is only necessary when you want to use the People Picker from a workflow initiation form.  Since your users can go directly from a list this technique won't be required.  In you list add a people picker and make it a mandatory field.  In your workflow add a Send E-mail action and then in the To of the e-mail, choose Workflow Lookup, Current Item, and then your People Picker field.  Save your changes and retest.

For the second part of your question you need to set up a timer ooop, please review the blog I wrote as a way to begin this design discussion:

http://sharepointgypsy.blogspot.com/2011/01/sharepoint-designer-workflows-3.html?utm_source=BP_recent

I hope that helps!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Dorn Friday, March 4, 2011 1:22 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I tried this using the people picker and Name(with precense) and got no results. Should I have used the email instead? Also im using this as an automatic initiation should it be a manual initiation? Unfortunately they block blogs at the office so ill have to check out your post when I get to my home pc.

Thanks again for your help.

Kevin

Friday, March 4, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Tom

This worked perfectly once I changed the field to email rather than precense!!! You have just saved me a lot of headace and hassle and im very grateful!

Kevin

Friday, March 4, 2011 1:24 PM