none
Seems a bug of string.IndexOf() RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there!

Please look at this Immediate Window log:

1"'>".IndexOf("'>"); 
    3"'>゛".IndexOf("'>"); 
    4-1

Please take care on the 4th character of the 3rd line, if I remove it, IndexOf returns 0, if I keep it there, IndexOf will return -1.

Any way to work around this?

Thanks!

Do my best in .Net learning.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:08 PM

Answers

• You can specify an ordinal comparison to do a direct comparison of the Unicode character numbers, bypassing any special rules as to what characters are considered equal:

Console.WriteLine("'>゛".IndexOf("'>", StringComparison.Ordinal));   

As to why this is happening, it probably has to do with the fact that Char.GetUnicodeCategory returns "ModifierSymbol" for the character in question.  Thus, it is interpreted as modifying the preceding >, making it different than the > in the other test case.

• Marked as answer by a_a Monday, February 2, 2009 10:00 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:19 PM

All replies

• You can specify an ordinal comparison to do a direct comparison of the Unicode character numbers, bypassing any special rules as to what characters are considered equal:

Console.WriteLine("'>゛".IndexOf("'>", StringComparison.Ordinal));   

As to why this is happening, it probably has to do with the fact that Char.GetUnicodeCategory returns "ModifierSymbol" for the character in question.  Thus, it is interpreted as modifying the preceding >, making it different than the > in the other test case.

• Marked as answer by a_a Monday, February 2, 2009 10:00 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Hello!

Your answer is working for me! Thank you! :D

Do my best in .Net learning.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:02 PM