How seriously do you take negative feedback? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Microsoft,

It would have been nice to at least have some kind of dialogue in the more negative threads.  But your mentality was that only the "actionable" feedback was important?  Those are apparently the only threads worth responding to?

The new MSDN homepage makes me dizzy.  Whatever organizational improvements you may have made are completely hidden by the rapidly changing content.  Nothing will hold still long enough for me to stare at it and think about it!

Come on, Microsoft.  Most of us would get fired if we actually released something like that to our customers.

Would you please just tell us what your reasoning was behind going ahead with the motion graphics anyways, in spite of the negative feedback you received in this forum?  Was there a good user experience reason for doing so?

Lars Kemmann
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 1:42 AM

All replies

• Sorry Lars. Regarding the motion graphics, we did off the animation on the video scroller, based in input to this forum. Also, we are working to fix the behavior of the animation in the Community Activity feature on the main MSDN Home Page (note: the same control is used under different names elsewhere on the network). Currently, if you click on any of the tab/categories (By Microsoft, By MVP, etc) the animation will stop. However right now, if you move your cursor outside that box the animation starts again, which is not the plan as designed. We are seriously looking at turning off all the animations across the network, but customer input is running about 2:1 in favor of animations, as long as we constrain this to just one of the new controls we launched.

We do take everyone's input very seriously. I manage the UX/Design team at MSDN and we met today to discuss all of the input we are seeing in order to make the best decisions. Please do continue to provide recommendation and apologies for not responding sooner.

Chris

Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Chris!  Turning off the video scroller's automatic animation does make a difference.  If you can do the same with the community control and with the top "ad" control on the homepage, the new layout will make a much better impression.

The contrast between elements is still very high; that only makes it all the more important that content not animate much, since it is already difficult for the eyes to "scan" the page.

Overall, animations - as the Expression Blend guidance keeps saying - is great to show user-initiated transitions and add to the "delight" factor.  But animations that just run without the user asking for them are a problem.
    Lars Kemmann
    Monday, October 19, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Hi Lars - we've decided to also turn off the aut-play mode in the Community Activity area, and will reintroduce that option at a later date.

Thanks much for your input.

Chris Dahl
    MSDN UX/Design
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Thanks for listening, and thanks for responding!

Leaving 'Community Activity' on the "By Microsoft" tab by default makes the entire page much easier to scan and also brings to the forefront the information that I (usually) care the most about.

The new design is slowly starting to grow on me.  I'm looking forward to future improvements, especially around organization of information.

(I'm working on categorizing our internal system documentation wiki at my job, and it would be interesting to see how you tackle the problem.  How does the MSDN team decide how to organize the information?)

Lars Kemmann
    • Edited by Lars Kemmann Friday, October 23, 2009 9:34 PM Clarified.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:33 PM