none
Help me figure out Biztalk Adapter speak/terms please RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am relatively new to BizTalk Adapter speak, but not WCF, and so still trying to figure out so many of the terms used and the reason for them. I am currently working on the Employee Purchase Order sample at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd788525(BTS.10).aspx , and I need some informed help on what some of the terms used mean in the context, to help me better understand the reason for each step.  Some of the terms are

a)      Notification --- where is this coming from? The BizTalk layer? The database tables? Stored procedures? Which direction?

b)      Request – which way? What layer is the request being piped from? Which direction?

c)       Response – Is this from the stored procedure? The table? The client? BizTalk?

d)      Send port – send from? Send to? To Database? From Database?

e)      Receive port – receive one way? Which way? Back to database? Or from database? BizTalk?

f)       Orchestration – is this required for Adapter use? Is it possible to still have a functioning application without orchestration included?

None
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:01 AM

Answers

• Ok, here goes.

a) Notification - With WCF-SQL this is a BizTalk process that is polling using a SQL statement or on a Service Broker queue. So BizTalk polls until it sees a database change then sends a notification response back into BizTalk that can be received and acted on. I like to use this capability to kick off a BizTalk job. I use a SQL agent job to change a row in a table and setup a port to do notification and when the SQL agent job gets kicked off, BizTalk is notified and starts processing the notification message.

b) Request - From BizTalk to a port. Example: A BizTalk orchestration requests a database using WCF-SQL.

c) Response - From a port back to BizTalk. Example: The database runs a query in the request and returns 2 rows as a response. The response message is serialized to Xml via the WCF-SQL adapter and is received back into BizTalk.

d) Send Port - The request from BizTalk to an adapter. A two-way send port has a send port and a receive port.

e) Receive Port - The response from the adapter port back to BizTalk.

f) Orchestration - A development artifact which provides a model for the business process. Yes, you can use adapter ports without an orchestration. Often an application without an orchestration will use send port filters for routing messages.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:33 PM