Using the Cell Property of Table in PowerPoint VBA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to insert a down arrow into a table's cell in a PPT slide with the following code, but I get an error 'object doesn't support this action'.  It highlights the line sh.table.cell(3,2).shape.autoshapetype = msoshapedownarrow.  Any idea why I'm getting this error?  Thanks!

Sub tble()
        Dim sl As Slide, sh As Shape

For Each sl In ActivePresentation.Slides
            If sl.SlideNumber = 93 Then
                For Each sh In sl.Shapes
                    If sh.Type = msoTable Then
                        sh.Table.Cell(3, 2).Shape.AutoShapeType = msoShapeDownArrow
                    End If
                Next sh
            End If
        Next
    End Sub

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:26 PM

All replies

• I think that you need to change the image in table, yes?
    But the image dont linked with table.
    Test this:

Sub tble()
        Dim sl As Slide, sh As Shape

If sl.SlideNumber = 93 Then
                For Each sh In sl.Shapes 
                    If sh.Type = 1 Then        '''' Search by correct constant 
                        sh.AutoShapeType = msoShape24pointStar 
                    End If
                Next sh
            End If
        Next
    End Sub

Nane

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Actually, I'm trying to insert a symbol into a cell in a PowerPoint Table.  It is the equivelant of putting your cursor in the cell of a PowerPoint table and selecting the Insert tab/Symbol, and selecting the symbol to insert. 

I have seen an example on this website of using the Shape object of Cell (i.e. sh.Table.Cell().Shape), and using the AutoShapeType.  However, I get "Object doesn't support this action" error.

Is it possible to insert symbols with VBA?  I not, perhaps it is possible to insert a shape.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:36 PM
  • Try this:

sh.Table.Cell(2, 3).Shape.TextFrame.TextRange.InsertSymbol FontName:="Symbol", CharNumber:=223

Look at :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa172287(v=office.11).aspx

Nane

Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Yes, this at first glance appears to be what I need.  However, it seems to only work for certain symbols and not for others.  I was able to insert a register sign, for example, but not the symbols that I need (Up-pointing Triangle and Down-Pointing Triangle).  I'm not sure why, but perhaps VBA doesn't recognize these symbols. 

Alternatively, I was able to insert a a left-pointing arrow using sh.table.Cell(3,4).Shape.TextFram.TextRange.Text = Chr(17), but when I try this with Chr(31), which is an Down-Pointing Triangle, I get a blank cell.  I'm puzzled.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:18 PM
  • I think you can to insert any symbol but you just need to select especific font. The number you can to see in Insert-Symbol

Nane

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:29 PM
  • I found the font for the Up/Down Triangles - Wingdings 3.  I think you are right that I must include the correct font.  Now I have another problem.  When I click on the Triangle in the Insert/Symbols, the ASCII is not avaible.  Rather it changes to "Symbol (decimal)" and "Symbol (hex)".  I wonder if it is possible to use "Symbol" character codes rather than ASCII or Unicode.
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Do you try this:

sh.Table.Cell(2, 3).Shape.TextFrame.TextRange.InsertSymbol    FontName:="Wingdings 3", CharNumber:=130

I think that I dont understand, send your sample again, please

Nane

• Edited by nanebnu Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:21 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:15 PM
  • 112 is the "Symbol (dec)" code for up-pointing triangle, but the InsertSymbol method wants ASCII or Unicode.  THanks!

Sub InsertShapeInCell()
        Dim sl As Slide
        Dim sh As Shape
        Dim newarw As Shape

If sl.SlideNumber = 94 Then
                For Each sh In sl.Shapes
                    If sh.Type = msoTable Then
                        sh.Table.Cell(3, 2).Shape.TextFrame.TextRange.InsertSymbol FontName:="Wingdings 3", CharNumber:=112
                    End If
                Next
            End If
        Next
    End Sub

Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:23 PM