Updating Xamarin broke the build process (The process cannot access the file "appName.dll.mdb") RRS feed

• Question

• User14761 posted

I'm facing this error after updating Xamarin to the latest version today (12-2-2014) and there is no solution except closing and opening VS each time I want to run the app and this is unbearable !

Error 447 The last access/last write time on file "bin\Debug\appName.dll.mdb" cannot be set. The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\ahmedkamal\Source\appName\bin\Debug\appName.dll.mdb' because it is being used by another process

The bug was posted to bugzilla by another developer too.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=26841

What can be done to downgrade Xamarin at least if there is no fix for this bug ?

Thursday, February 12, 2015 11:34 AM

All replies

• User372 posted

Have the same problem too :-(

Monday, February 16, 2015 1:03 PM
  • User209 posted

Try delete the bin and obj folder and retry.

Monday, February 16, 2015 5:21 PM
  • User5461 posted

@Cheesebaron That's not possible. I have the same issue here. When trying to delete the bin and obj folder an alert is raised which says the folder is in use. Does anyone have a solution?

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:46 AM
  • User39757 posted

Have the same problem!

Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:36 PM
  • User372 posted

Just got notified about a new stable update and installed it, but the problem remains. I have to completely close VS and re-open it after every build :-(

Friday, February 20, 2015 10:12 AM
  • User39757 posted

For some reason my build process start working again. The following are the steps I did: 1. After installing the notified update (which is for Xamarin.iOS so it should be unrelated to this issue). 2. I opened visual studio and run my android app. App runs at this point, then stop debugging. 3. Then I decided to run Xamarin Studio and open my solution. 4. I run the android app from XS and I got the "The process cannot..." error, because my visual studio still running. 5. I closed VS. 6. Run the android app again in XS and at this time the app runs. 7. Stopped debugging and run again and the app still runs plus I don't get the "The process cannot..." error anymore. 8. So I opened again VS and run my android app couple of times, since then I don't get the "The process cannot..." error anymore.

I don't know what's going on but at least I can debug now in VS.

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:46 PM
  • User106635 posted

I am confirming that latest Tomas recipe solved me this issue too. Many thanks! Additionally, I compared the files after opening solution in XamarinStudio - most important thing is probably that XS removed my AndroidUseSharedRuntime="true" tag from "*.Droid.csproj", but it also replaced VS2013 to VS2012 in SLN as default (I have both now; when you change here back to "# Visual Studio 2013" it stays here then). By adding *.userprefs to git/svn ignore, it seems we have fully two-way solution for VS2013 and XS, which also changes in some *.csproj "Project ToolsVersion="12.0" to "4.0" but VS doesnt complain - consequences?? ( Truth is, that bin\debug*.dll.mdb is still present after "Clean" in XS or VS )

Saturday, February 21, 2015 6:00 AM
  • User372 posted

Doesn't work for me. App builds and runs fine in Xamarin Studio, then once again in Visual Studio, but then the file is locked again :-(

Saturday, February 21, 2015 8:41 AM
  • User372 posted

I've taken a look with Process Explorer, and the mdb file is indeed still open in devenv.exe. If I close the handle in Process Explorer, I can build just fine (one time). Since I didn't install any updates to Visual Studio, the problem must be in Xamarin.Android.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 10:56 AM
  • User1866 posted

I was able to work around this by using handle.exe and removing the lock from the console.

Handle can be obtained from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx

Then use "handle " to get the hex number and pid so you can then execute "handle -c -p ".

So far after I do this once the lock is removed for subsequent builds.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 8:25 PM
  • User372 posted

That'd be the same as I did with Process Explorer, just done by command line. Great it works for you, but for me, I have to do this over and over again after every build :-(

Sunday, February 22, 2015 9:17 AM
  • User14761 posted

I only removed the updated and returned back to the latest stable version. This was enough for me. I will try your solutions if I faced it again. Thanks a lot.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 12:00 PM
  • User25824 posted

Same error here and it is VERY VERY annoying. I am wasting a lot of time restarting every time VS and this is not acceptable for all those people that are actually paying a lot of money. We need at least a workaround as soon as possible because the business does not wait.

Thank you

Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:09 AM
  • User65389 posted

Same problem (Android AND iOS-Emulator) and a lot more...

See also here: forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/111471#Comment_111471

Monday, March 23, 2015 10:53 AM
  • User25824 posted

Any update ? this issue is getting really frustrating. Neither the downgrade was useful.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:20 AM
  • User80559 posted

Thanks to falken clarity this "removed my AndroidUseSharedRuntime="true" tag from "*.Droid.csproj" " worked for me.

Friday, March 27, 2015 6:48 PM
  • User96360 posted

Same problem here. At first I thought it was some other VS extension causing it, but after removing all extensions the problem still persists.

Monday, March 30, 2015 2:42 PM
  • User5209 posted

+1 Same issue. It's annoying to restart VS before each debug deploy..

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 9:15 AM
  • User117952 posted

I am having the same problem. Any workarounds?

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 3:52 PM
  • User67243 posted

make sure to clean the project first anytime you need to build it. that worked for me.

Friday, April 3, 2015 6:15 PM
  • User33588 posted

Here is a small console application I wrote that I then added to my pre-build events for my android application that calls handle to "cleanup" the issue anytime I try and debug. You just need to pass the name of the mdb as a argument AND have the handle.exe in the same directory as this executable. NOTE: I wrote this in about 5 minutes so I do not guarantee the results... run at your own risk.

class Program
        {
            public static string AssemblyDirectory
            {
                get
                {
                    string codeBase = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().CodeBase;
                    UriBuilder uri = new UriBuilder(codeBase);
                    string path = Uri.UnescapeDataString(uri.Path);
                    return Path.GetDirectoryName(path);
                }
            }

static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                try
                {
                    var filePath = args[0];

Process handleProcess = new Process();

handleProcess.StartInfo.WorkingDirectory = AssemblyDirectory;
                    handleProcess.StartInfo.FileName = "Handle.exe";
                    handleProcess.StartInfo.Arguments = filePath;
                    handleProcess.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = false;
                    handleProcess.StartInfo.RedirectStandardOutput = true;
                    handleProcess.Start();

var output = handleProcess.StandardOutput.ReadToEnd();

var pidIdx = output.IndexOf("pid: ", StringComparison.Ordinal) + 5;
                    var handleIdx = output.IndexOf("type: File", StringComparison.Ordinal) + 10;

var pid = output.Substring(pidIdx, output.IndexOf(" ", pidIdx, StringComparison.Ordinal) - pidIdx);
                    var handle = output.Substring(handleIdx,
                        output.IndexOf(":", handleIdx, StringComparison.Ordinal) - handleIdx);

handleProcess.StartInfo.Arguments = string.Format("-c {0} -y -p {1}", handle, pid);
                    handleProcess.Start();
                }
                catch
                {
                    // Do nothing... We are likely in here because we couldn't find the handle!
                    Console.WriteLine(
                        "Something went wrong... run handle manually to make sure everything is as you expect it.");
                }
            }

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:33 PM
  • User118168 posted

Right click on your project --> Properties

Under "Android Options" uncheck the box "Use Shared Runtime"

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:03 PM
  • User24319 posted

I also have the same issue. Xamarin all these solutions are hacks to fix an issue you should be fixing. Any progress on getting this identified and fixed. Its very annoying!

Friday, May 15, 2015 1:34 PM
  • User57498 posted

Has anyone heard from Xamarin regarding a "REAL" fix for this issue? It has come and gone for me for months now. And it is back. I am running 3.11.590. It is locking the .dlll for my PCL in a Xamarin.Forms project. I have to shut VS down and re-open every time. This is unacceptable for a product which costs as much as Xamarin does.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:15 PM
  • User311 posted

Experiencing this again in the stable and alpha channell too..

If I restart Visual Studio and try again it hangs VS indefenitely at "Packaging Application".

Friday, June 12, 2015 11:39 AM
  • User73524 posted

Me too.

This is happening again with the latest from the Alpha channel as of 6/13/2015.

Sunday, June 14, 2015 12:44 AM
  • User65389 posted

@ScottSmith, @rogihee, @TimothyLeeRussell:

I work with 3.11.586 and don't have this problem (but still various other and one more "evergreen" -> VS hangs, when a resource is added in Android -> therefore a workaround is described in my thread).

You can find my findings here:
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41844/my-findings-after-test-if-the-newest-xamarin-vs-integration-software#latest

So.. I suggest you to downgrade, if possible and you can live with problems to .586 (see my thread).

I think, the most of us have gave up to post the problems to the "official threads" (as it - unfortunately - seems to do not help). Nevertheless you should post a short message to the "official thread" to your version (if only to prevent other users, to do the update :smirk:)

Here: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/43273/alpha-release-xamarinvs-3-11-658-cycle-5-service-release-2#latest or https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/42670/stable-service-release-xamarinvs-3-11-586-bug-fixes-for-3-11-445#latest

Monday, June 15, 2015 7:55 AM
  • User65389 posted

@BobPfingsten, @ScottSmith.8058, @rogihee, @TimothyLeeRussell:

As I wrote in my posting, I don't had this problem with 3.11.586. Before a while, I had to update to 3.11.836.0 (to prepare - hopefully :smirk: - my iOS app for the iOS 9 Update). The new version for the iOS-App is uploaded for Apple review already. Now, I want to update also my Android app and... yes.. the evergreen is back! :angry: If I try to Publish the Android app (Release configuration), I can't as some DLL's (I can see Json.dll) are "in use by another process"... Close VS and restart don't help...

Just annnoyinggg!

Have you found a workaround in the meantime...?

Or can somebody say, that he don't have the problem in the latest 3.11.894 ? => I can't see that it should be re-solved in the release notes...

Thanks for a short feedback :sunglasses:

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:30 PM
  • User65389 posted

@BobPfingsten, @ScottSmith.8058, @rogihee, @TimothyLeeRussell: I have found a (bad) workaround myself. Close VS delete all files in the folder ...(AppName).Android\bin\Release\ Start VS Deploy (seems to work one time)

I further have posted am message in the "How to make Forms stable" thread: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/152557/#Comment_152557

But it seems, as the thread don't pop's anymore, if a message is added... This is also a (really bad) way, to keep the criticism of the customer's under the blanket

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 3:09 PM
  • User89714 posted

I have just upgraded, and have hit this same problem.

Unable to copy file "E:\MyApp\packages\Xamarin.Forms.1.5.0.6447\lib\MonoAndroid10\Xamarin.Forms.Core.dll" to "bin\Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Core.dll". The process cannot access the file 'bin\Debug\Xamarin.Forms.Core.dll' because it is being used by another process.

Yet another day completed wasted by Xamarin not testing their stuff properly before putting on the stable channel. I'd far rather they sorted out their quality and release processes rather than make the big fanfare about 0 day support for new stuff. I REALLY don't care about 0 day support. I want a predictable, reliable system to work on.

I am just hoping that iOS is working, because right now, everything else is completely stuffed. Keeping fingers crossed for iOS, but as I was doing the upgrade in the hope of fixing an existing Xamarin iOS problem that prevented me working on iOS, I really don't hold out much hope.

[Note added later: It didn't matter how many times I cleaned the solution/project, this kept on happening. Re-starting VS and re-starting the box didn't resolve it either. However, going in manually and deleting the bin directory seems to have worked. I have re-built a few times since without issue. Still not happy though at having to waste time on stuff like this]

Monday, September 28, 2015 1:16 PM
  • User89714 posted

[deleted]

Monday, September 28, 2015 1:29 PM
  • User122870 posted

NEW RELEASE XAMARIN FOR STUDIO 4.0(Alpha version) ==> Happy or Unhappy Notification???

I have just found and tested this version for fix big bug "Could not copy .DLLs". Considering by link: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/vs/xamarin.vs4/xamarin.vs4.0/#Xamarin_4.0

I tested again on my project with: Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 Xamarin 4.0.0.1566 (5abb0de) iOS SDK 8.4. => Result: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/vs/xamarin.vs4/xamarin.vs4.0/#XVS_4.0.0.1505 The bug "Bug 31423 - [XVS] Locked .dll files: Could not copy "... PortableClassLibrary1.dll" to "bin\Debug\PortableClassLibrary1.dll". Exceeded retry count of 10. Failed." was fixed( on XVS alpha version 4.0.0.1505)

=> But, it's occurred other bugs: - You cannot "Clean Solution" your solution. If you clean your solution, it will occur the bug before "Bug 31423"(Because the .DLLs do not clean and Visual Studio will lock some your .DLLs).

Good luck!. :cold_sweat:

Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:11 AM
  • User50838 posted

Solved the problem as Thomas.4828 said: - Open the solution in XamarinStudion and deploy it to the Android phone - Close the XamarinStudio - Open the solution in VisualStudio and deploy it to Android Phone From now on, it should work.

Friday, October 23, 2015 7:52 AM
  • User157817 posted

I encountered this problem today on the iOS project of a xamarin.forms solution.

The file myProject/myProject.iOS/bin/iPhone/Debug/somePcl.dll was not released, so subsequent builds failed because the file couldn't be copied there.

After shutting down VS and deleting the file I was only able build one time.

A longer-lasting solution for me was to MOVE the file to a different Folder. The moved file remained unreleased, but copying to the original folder worked now, so building succeeded - and more than once.

Friday, November 6, 2015 4:58 PM
  • User98308 posted

Came across this this morning - built the solution in XS first, then it worked in VS

Monday, November 9, 2015 6:02 PM
  • User167531 posted

I used to get this message quite alot, I have since set my concurrent build number to 1 and the problem has not yet recurred.

This option is in Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions > Build and Run

Set the option "Maximum Number of Parallel projects to build" to 1 and see if it works. If not, you can always set it back

Thursday, November 26, 2015 5:30 PM
  • User180858 posted

Happened to me too, just building a stupid C# console app to aid in testing. (Did I mention it's about impossible to debug unittests?) Couldn't even delete the executable after a reboot. Required a program called Unlocker to be able break the little mofo's deathgrip on the system, and it still requires a reboot to finish the job. Not cool. v5.10.1, Windows 10

Saturday, December 19, 2015 11:48 PM
  • User171730 posted

Try cleaning all the projects, solution and build it again. It worked for me.

Monday, December 21, 2015 9:21 AM
  • User92953 posted

I have been having this same messed up issue where my DLL were locked. What I did was,

1. Close Visual Studio
    2. deleting all the files in the bin\Debug folder
    3. delete the .suo file
    4. open Visual Studio in Administrator mode

Well that worked for me after wasting almost two hours... /(-_-)\

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:05 AM
  • User50838 posted

Udara Alwis-s solution is also working. Tnx.> @UdaraAlwis said:

I have been having this same messed up issue where my DLL were locked. What I did was,

1. Close Visual Studio
    2. deleting all the files in the bin\Debug folder
    3. delete the .suo file
    4. open Visual Studio in Administrator mode

Well that worked for me after wasting almost two hours... /(-_-)\

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:18 PM
  • User104869 posted

None of these solutions for me consistantly. It may work for a few hours then it comes back to locking DLL hell. Seriously, a year on, and this still happens? Does anyone have anything more update to date?

VS2013 Update 5 Xamarin.Andriod 6.0.2.1

Friday, March 18, 2016 5:39 AM
  • User181000 posted

Same problem with Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 + Xamarin Form 2.2.0.5.

Very frustrating bug. I will never recomend the Xamarin "solution".

Sunday, April 17, 2016 8:58 PM
  • User159897 posted

Visual Studio 2015, Xamarin Forms 2.3.2.127

Getting this issue frequently.

A restart of Visual Studio can take up to ten minutes on a fast machine. This is seriously affecting my productivity.

This has been an issue for over a year and a half.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:19 PM
  • User315926 posted

I'm getting this issue after updating Xamarin this morning. Deleting bin and obj doesn't fix it. Affects both Debug and Release builds.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 11:00 PM
  • User232789 posted

I had this problem when I wan on beta or alpha branch, so I switched to Release.

Today I installed the latest XF for VS 4.5.0.443 and since that moment I can't build app each time. I have to clean solution or\and delete .dll's manually or\and kill all msbuild processes. I can delete all that files manually. No problems or locked files. Also I tried to run VS as Administrator == no result.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:22 AM
  • User139863 posted

I have this problem too since updating to the latest Xamarin version. Manually deleting files in bin and obj works once per VS build, but obviously need a permanent fix... any ideas?!

Thursday, May 11, 2017 3:00 PM
  • User269767 posted

Yesterday I installed XF for VS 4.5.0.443 and since that I am getting:

Error Unable to copy file "obj\Debug\appname.dll" to "bin\Debug\appname.dll". The process cannot access the file 'bin\Debug\appname.dll' because it is being used by another process. Error Could not copy "obj\Debug\appname.dll" to "bin\Debug\appname.dll". Exceeded retry count of 10. Failed.

For Android a clean solutions sometimes seems to work but I am unable to build and run any IOS project. I tried all the previous solutions like removing bin folders, remove suo files, start as admin etc but nothing seems to work. Productions is down to zero and frustration is high

Friday, May 12, 2017 7:25 AM
  • User114776 posted

same problem here...

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:15 AM
  • User269767 posted

Since I couldn't find any open bug in bugzilla around this issue I opened a new one: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56275

I really love Xamarin Forms but this kind of issues in stable releases kills productivity :(

Friday, May 12, 2017 10:02 AM
  • User253827 posted

I'm seeing the same issue in VS 2017 15.2...added to your bug report

Friday, May 12, 2017 2:16 PM
  • User250784 posted

Same issue added to bug report https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56275

Friday, May 12, 2017 5:44 PM
  • User50382 posted

I too have this problem. Please fix this Xamarin SOON

Sunday, May 14, 2017 6:42 PM
  • User177302 posted

while this may work short term, deleting the .suo file also disconnects the source control. Nearly as bad as restarting VS every time...

Monday, May 15, 2017 7:25 PM
  • User182434 posted

It has worked for 1 hour and then again same problem ....

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:28 AM
  • User300824 posted

I wrote to support and they provided a link to the older version of Xamarin for Visual Studio - 4.4: https://dl.xamarin.com/XamarinforVisualStudio/Windows/Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.4.0.34.msi

I also downgraded Xamarin iOS on the Mac to 10.8 following this instruction: https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1699777-how-do-i-downgrade-to-an-older-version-of-xamarin-

Now it works.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:18 PM
  • User205382 posted

I had the same issue with the last update (4.5.0.443) with Visual Studio 2015 To solve the problem, I downgraded Xamarin to the previous stable version like Olexander.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:44 AM
  • User324705 posted

Same issue and same solution (Downgrade to Xamarin 4.4.0.34). Thank's all.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:47 PM
  • User309938 posted

Same Issue here, using VS 2017 15.2 with the latest Xamarin.Forms build.. sucks!

Monday, May 22, 2017 2:34 PM
  • User223226 posted

Try this workaround (tested with VS2017 15.2 and Xamarin for VS 4.5.0.443) until Xamarin fixes the issue:

Kill all the MSBuild processes.

You can either use an application like ProcessExplorer (see screenshot above) or a faster solution (as you will have to repeat the operation each time you build your solution) is to open a command prompt (and keep it open) and execute:

taskkill /IM MSBuild.exe /F

Monday, May 22, 2017 9:21 PM
  • User309938 posted

@Aquablue said: Try this workaround (tested with VS2017 15.2 and Xamarin for VS 4.5.0.443) until Xamarin fixes the issue:

Kill all the MSBuild processes.

You can either use an application like ProcessExplorer (see screenshot above) or a faster solution (as you will have to repeat the operation each time you build your solution) is to open a command prompt (and keep it open) and execute:

taskkill /IM MSBuild.exe /F

That doesn't work unfortunately. I have to delete all bin / obj folders all the time..

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 8:08 AM
  • User223226 posted

@visionflare: What version of VS do you have? If you don't have VS 2017 15.2, additionally to killing all the MSBuild.exe kill also ServiceHub.DataWarehouseHost.exe could maybe help. This process was also the cause of the same (couldn't copy obj/.../..dll to bin/.../...dll) problem, but according to a MS source the issue should have been solved with VS 15.2 (but some users still reported the same problematic behavior with 15.2).

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:00 AM
  • User309938 posted

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, there is no such process running.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:08 AM
  • User315077 posted

Any news to this bug? I can not work effective with the bug. Please fix it.

Killing 'MSBuild' processes is not a save solution for me.

my Setup: Visual Studio 2017 - 15.2 (26430.4) Xamarin 4.5.0.443

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:10 PM
  • User223656 posted

Same problem with every new update, something worst happens.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:51 PM
  • User309938 posted

It seems i had some version conflincts in my nuget packages. You can try the following:

1. Close VS
    2. Delete all folders inside your "packages" folder of your root folder.
    3. Restart VS
    4. Right click on solution and "Restore Nuget Packages"
    5. Check your packages folder, you should not use two packages of the same dependency with different versions. Also check your warnings in VS, sometimes a warning shows up when you have dependency problems in your packages folder.

That solved it for me at the moment, but I didn't test that much now (although, removing dependency problems is always a good idea).

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:05 PM
  • User132080 posted

I am getting the same issue. I cannot find a solution, I have wasted a couple of days on this.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:23 PM
  • User192159 posted

Same issue here. Several days for me as well.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:19 PM
  • User309938 posted

The problem has returned now. Process explorer says, visual studio itself is blocking an assembly..

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:52 AM
  • User223656 posted

one solution is to open PCL folder and delete Bin and Obj folder and do the same for the iOS project too.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:10 AM
  • User239635 posted

having the same issue, is anyone aware of a fix being released yet?

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:00 PM
  • User18728 posted

I have this issue as well, and it occurs on Android, iOS and UWP builds. Very annoying.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:14 PM
  • User239635 posted

@AnatoliiB said: having the same issue, is anyone aware of a fix being released yet?

this appears to have been fixed in today's (5/24/2017) v 15.2 release by the way,

Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:24 AM
  • User146630 posted

@AnatoliiB said:

@AnatoliiB said: having the same issue, is anyone aware of a fix being released yet?

this appears to have been fixed in today's (5/24/2017) v 15.2 release by the way,

Where ?

Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:15 PM
  • User239635 posted

@paradise_human said:

@AnatoliiB said:

Where ? from Xamarin Downloads: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads select latest 5/24/2017 update:

https://dl.xamarin.com/XamarinforVisualStudio/Windows/Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.5.0.475.msi

this fixed it for me. this was the bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56275

Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:11 PM
  • User146630 posted

@AnatoliiB said:

@paradise_human said:

@AnatoliiB said:

Where ? from Xamarin Downloads: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads select latest 5/24/2017 update:

https://dl.xamarin.com/XamarinforVisualStudio/Windows/Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.5.0.475.msi

this fixed it for me. this was the bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56275

Thank you...

Thursday, May 25, 2017 9:15 PM
  • User103661 posted

So why isn't Visual Studio 2017 updating to Xamarin 4.5.0.475 if there has been a new stable release? The option to check for updates is completely gone in Visual Studio 2017.

Friday, May 26, 2017 2:45 PM
  • User326630 posted

I'm getting this too VS2017, installed VS then Modified install to install Xamarin (Using Xamarin Forms). First build always works, always fails with every other build (devenv.exe is locking the file).

Could not copy "obj\Debug\PortableSharedProject.dll" to "bin\Debug\PortableSharedProject.dll". Exceeded retry count of 10. Failed.

Saturday, May 27, 2017 11:59 PM
  • User309938 posted

Check out the VS-Extension from RUSK

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjNg48gcJCR6o5gY1fC4NP5G3wlMHQ

Seemed like it solved the problem for some people.

Sunday, May 28, 2017 8:43 AM
  • User103661 posted

Looks like the fix has rolled out to Visual Studio 2017 today as well.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 8:25 PM
  • User316241 posted

@TrevorBalcom said: Looks like the fix has rolled out to Visual Studio 2017 today as well.

I just updated my VS and now I don't have this messsage anymore. Thanks !

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:23 AM
  • User293621 posted

How do I fix the problem on xamarin studio

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:55 PM
  • User133599 posted

VS 15.5.1 Xamarin 4.8.0.753

Always new problems on each updates... I have a type exception each time I launch the app with my launcher activity and also the lock on obj files, the ones that are lock for me:

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'obj\Debug\android\typemap.jm' because it is being used by another process.

None of the workarounds work, I have to close VS, delete manually, open again... I just... can't believe how hard it is to have a stable env with Xamarin, it's just impossible.

I would never recommend Xamarin to anyone anymore. Just recommend using pure Java, the C# upside is completly eclipsed by everything that relates to Xamarin and VS problems: netstandard, .net core, problems with cross platforms libraries... cannot debug correcly... just.. wow... it feels like a new product, like Xamarin just came out for the first time in alpha. Honestly, I'm at loss of words...

Friday, December 8, 2017 4:17 PM
  • User133599 posted

For those with this problem, it's a known bug of 15.5.1 :

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/155693/xamarin-android-project-cannot-build-because-ranim.html

I'd recommend NOT UPDATING TO THIS VERSION. Our team has lost a lot of time and we had to rollback to prior version. I'd also recommend NEVER updating to newest IDE Version. If you're running on a version that works for you, never update.

If you have the manpower and the financial possibilities, let someone try to update and run for 2 to 4 weeks alone with the new version. Xamarin is just not stable enough to risk production development environment to be impacted the way it does.

Monday, December 11, 2017 1:47 PM
  • User357744 posted

I update last version :smile: Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State Error error: error while writing array: obj\Debug\android\bin\classes\com\vovisoft\R$array.class (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) public static final class array {

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:57 AM