WARNING Windows 10 1511 x64 KB3116900 disables PowerPivot addin from Excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Couldn't work out why my PP addin had disappeared. Even going to options/addin and reselecting the PP didn't work as basically couldn't be enabled. Affect a lot of trial and error ended up doing a system restore (as you can't seem to uninstall) and bingo works fine.  

I read something about adding a registry key to do with using Legacy JIT which i did, but this must have got wiped by the update as no longer there. 

Now I have no choice but to disable this update. is there any other work around as I am stuck will Excel 2010 for one model until 2Q next year.

Thanks

Mike

Sunday, December 13, 2015 10:56 AM

Answers

• Can you use Power BI Desktop instead? It offers Power Query, Power Pivot, and Power View in a standalone executable that is independent of your Office installation.

GNet Group BI Consultant

Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Sounds like you're best to not update, then (:

I would like to address a couple things you mentioned, though. Power BI can ingest any Power Pivot model from Excel. The only incompatibility would be if you utilize VBA in the Excel workbook. The data sources would all be preserved and functional as-is.

As to pivot tables, a Matrix in Power View is essentially a pivot table, but less customizable - depending on how you are using pivot tables, they may or may not meet your needs.

GNet Group BI Consultant

Monday, December 14, 2015 4:47 PM
  • Masplin,

Please send a Frown to the team to submit your feedback! And you can ask this in an Excel forum.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, July 29, 2016 9:14 PM

All replies

• Can you use Power BI Desktop instead? It offers Power Query, Power Pivot, and Power View in a standalone executable that is independent of your Office installation.

GNet Group BI Consultant

Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:37 PM
  • This is a massive model that runs all the BI for one of my companies.   I'm expecting to junk it in March as we are completely replacing the software.  Even if i couldn't use PowerBI desktop it wouldn't worth the effort rewriting the 100+ tables and extracts.  Actually not sure PowerBI can do the data extracts which are needed as part of the software migration. 

More critically I have found PowerBI to be utterly useless without pivot tables which make up 50% of the reporting I do

Basically I've got it working as long as I don't do any updates!

• Proposed as answer by greggyb Monday, December 14, 2015 4:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by masplin Monday, December 14, 2015 9:03 PM
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:58 PM
  • Sounds like you're best to not update, then (:

I would like to address a couple things you mentioned, though. Power BI can ingest any Power Pivot model from Excel. The only incompatibility would be if you utilize VBA in the Excel workbook. The data sources would all be preserved and functional as-is.

As to pivot tables, a Matrix in Power View is essentially a pivot table, but less customizable - depending on how you are using pivot tables, they may or may not meet your needs.

GNet Group BI Consultant

Monday, December 14, 2015 4:47 PM
  • I'm actually just looking for a solution to taking the windows updates disabling the power pivot add-in. I'm sure Power BI is great, but that's not the question. 
    Monday, December 14, 2015 9:05 PM
  • Masplin,

Please send a Frown to the team to submit your feedback! And you can ask this in an Excel forum.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, July 29, 2016 9:14 PM