Cannot re-install Dir Sync RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Recently did an in place upgrade from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 and Dir Sync stopped working. 

Ran through the published manual uninstall (MSIEXEC and confirming registry entries gone), but everytime I run the install, this message appears: 

"The Setup Wizard has detected a previous installation of the Directory Sync tool. The previous installation is incompatible with this newer configuration of the Directory Sync Tool. Please uninstall the previous version of the Directory Sync tool and run the installation wizard again."

Please help!

Friday, September 19, 2014 8:06 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You can try running process monitor to see what might be impacting the install process. For ex. you might see an item from the old installation under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\".

Backup the registry before you delete the item(s). If you are unsure of which registry item to delete or need help with process described above, please engage our Enterprise Support team for assistance.

Regards,
    Shravan

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would suggest you to follow these steps.

-Remove the local user account that Dirsync has created previously - user looks like AAD_xxxxxxxxx

-Remove all the local FIM groups created by Dirsync previously

-Remove all instances of SQL Express that were installed, if it was not used for any instance or for any applications.

-Remove all files and folders that were created in C:\Program Files\Windows Azure Active Directory Sync\

-Restart the installation without trying to install anything before it (Win Azure powershell module or Sign In Assistant) - and its all good

- Remove the DirsyncConfigShell.psc1 the latest version if found.

Hope this helps.

Also try this link for additional details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2684395

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19098.dirsync-how-to-install-the-directory-sync-tool.aspx 

Girish Prajwal

Friday, September 19, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Make sure you haven't got the Microsoft Online Services Sign in Assistant installed, if so uninstall from Program and Features.

I'm pretty sure I have run into the issues you've described and resolved it this way.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, but still getting same error. Even tried running CCleaner!!!

Any other suggestions welcome, or I'll raise a case with Microsoft under our partnership.

Thanks

Chris

Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hello,

You can try running process monitor to see what might be impacting the install process. For ex. you might see an item from the old installation under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\".

Backup the registry before you delete the item(s). If you are unsure of which registry item to delete or need help with process described above, please engage our Enterprise Support team for assistance.

Regards,
    Shravan

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:23 PM
  • Got it thanks!!!

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{84C7B390-2240-481C-B234-83A2AB09C6B2}

Installer now working :)

Chris

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:49 PM