Is there a way to access just a read-only list of local wifi and stats?

Question

• Hello, I understand the Windows Phone platform has limited the API to many types of system access, but I was wondering if there is a way to get a list of at least access points around the device and the various stats of these items. 

Primarily I'm looking for something similar to: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/WifiManager.html but understandably not as powerful in it's control, just in read access.

Is this possible on Windows Phone 8+?

Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Rkay9,

Sorry I thought you are asking for current wifi state, but it looks like you are questioning for how to get the list of available wifi and their states.

But as I know it could not be possible, WlanGetAvailableNetworkList is the one for desktop application but I cannot find a match one for Windows Phone, not for 8.0 or 8.1.

I will try to confirm with seniors if we already have such feature, but I think raise your suggestion at https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions could be a good idea.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 6, 2014 4:48 PM
  • Thank you for looking into this. I will try and post feedback on user voice also. I think this is an example of the kind of access missing for many devs.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Rkay-9,

I don't know if your Windows Phone 8+ include Windows Phone 8 or not?

Let's say if you are working with Windows Phone 8, take a look at the documentation: How to detect network changes for Windows Phone 8

If you are working for Windows Phone 8.1, you could see How to manage network connection events and changes in availability

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 6, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Hi, yes, my reference to windows phone 8+ meant windows phone 8 and beyond.

I'll give this a try, however reading over the initial documentation I'm weary it will actually provide what I'm looking for.

I want to simply get a list of all available wifi, currently visible to the device and stats along with them about their signal, strength and channel. First read on these seem to be offering only when the phone connects to a wifi spot (network change), there seems to be some mention of list of available networks, but it's not wholly clear.

I'll give it a try myself and see, hopefully it works. Thanks for the response.

Monday, October 6, 2014 1:25 PM
  • Hi Rkay9,

Sorry I thought you are asking for current wifi state, but it looks like you are questioning for how to get the list of available wifi and their states.

But as I know it could not be possible, WlanGetAvailableNetworkList is the one for desktop application but I cannot find a match one for Windows Phone, not for 8.0 or 8.1.

I will try to confirm with seniors if we already have such feature, but I think raise your suggestion at https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions could be a good idea.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, October 6, 2014 4:48 PM
  • Thank you for looking into this. I will try and post feedback on user voice also. I think this is an example of the kind of access missing for many devs.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:35 AM