none
Power pivot Error RRS feed

• Question

• I had to rebuild my power pivot table because of an error importing data. My template will have pivot table with lots of fields so having a reliable table that a user does not have to build each time they load the template is ideal. I also was noticing that I set my Power Pivot table to update when opened but it only re-grabs the loaded tables I still have to go into the power pivot table to update the load from the database manually. finally is there a way to pass a default selected slicer variable when I use c# to open(process.start) the document from my app. I would like the currently selected Patient to be passed but like having acess to one template with a slicer to select any patient so multiple records can be printed.

Error below

Error Unable to load the tables in the PowerPivot window

============================
    Error Message:

'', hexadecimal value 0x12, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 5928.
    ----------------------------
    The server sent an unrecognizable response.

Call Stack:

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String[] args)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Int32 pos, Char invChar)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText(Int32& startPos, Int32& endPos, Int32& outOrChars)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
       at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadStartElement(String localname, String ns)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaReader.ReadStartElement(String localname, String ns)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.FormattersHelpers.ReadRowsetProperty(XmlReader reader, String elementName, String elementNamespace, Type type, Boolean throwOnInlineError, Boolean isArray, Boolean convertToLocalTime)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdDataReader.ReadColumnValue(Int32 ordinal)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdDataReader.SequentialReadXmlValue(Int32 ordinal)
    ----------------------------
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdDataReader.SequentialReadXmlValue(Int32 ordinal)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdDataReader.GetRowXmlValues(Object[] xmlValues)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdDataReader.InternalRead()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdDataReader.Read()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.DataModelingView.PopulateValues(AdomdDataReader reader, Array[] tableData)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.DataModelingView.LoadValues(Int64 rowNum)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Storage.DataModelingView.GetCellValue(Int64 rowIndex, Int32 columnIndex, Boolean cacheOnly)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.ClientWindow.UpdateFormulaBar(Boolean refreshAutoComplete)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.ClientWindow.sheetsTab_sheetChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.SheetTabs.SetSelectedSheetInternal(String key)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.SheetTabs.PopulateSheetList(String selKey)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.SheetTabs.SetSelectedSheet(String key)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.ClientWindow.RefreshClientWindow(String tableName)

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 6:16 AM

Answers

• Thanks for pointing me to the Power Pivot Forum. I was able to fix the problem by rebuilding everything. The data did not change though there were never any invalid characters just somehow the computer got mixed up it all works now. I am just trying to figure out why it got so confused.
    • Marked as answer by reigh7 Monday, March 16, 2015 7:12 PM
    Monday, March 16, 2015 7:12 PM
  • I was able to record a basic macro in which the slicer was selected and I found it does in fact dispay the name of the slicer selected. I then went into code brainstorm and though if It knows the name it might also know the ID. Usign =cell(contents, reference [cells ID is in on the power pivot table]) I created a sheet to contain all of the ID in one column. Then I can write a for each next statement in excel to define the name of the slicer for each row that is not null. I can then use that for each statement to define a variable that changes for each time the variable changes and write additional things to the object model such as printing the templates for each of the variable names. This should allow me to programmatically select the first and each additional ID set it as the variable  and then run a print operation based on a count of how many pages to print based on another variable dividing the products by how many fit on a page + and integer for additional blanks to be added by hand charting later.
    • Marked as answer by reigh7 Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:55 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:55 PM
  • I could also write a form control to popup a message box asking if you wanted to print the selected document or select a default slicer record and execute a macro based on the response to select the slicer.
    • Marked as answer by reigh7 Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:17 PM
    • Edited by reigh7 Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:17 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi
    Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

Since the issue is complex, I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for your understanding

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 13, 2015 2:52 AM
  • Thank you very much.

I have many questions pending and lots to work on so when your ready I will respond. Thanks for being so helpful and appreciative of me and my time. 

For now I just work on the other parts of my app model. I just want to avoid failure for the end users. I have to learn some VBA to control my Power Pivot Tables any who and have lots to do on the Database side I can wait to update my templates with these input tables.
    Friday, March 13, 2015 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

>> Error: hexadecimal value 0x12, is an invalid character

From call stack, the error occurs when parsing the xml content in model view, I suspect that there are some invalid characters in the model view. To resolve this issue, you need to identify the characters and change them to valid one.

By the way, this forum is mainly for discussing questions about Excel Development (like VSTO, VBA). Power Pivot is an add-in for Excel, for questions related to Power Pivot, I will suggest you posting them on Power Pivot forum.

>> is there a way to pass a default selected slicer variable when I use c# to open (process.start) the document from my app

I’m afraid the Excel object model did not provide the method to change the slicer in PowerPivot.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by L.HlModerator Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by reigh7 Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:55 PM
    Monday, March 16, 2015 7:35 AM
  • Thanks for pointing me to the Power Pivot Forum. I was able to fix the problem by rebuilding everything. The data did not change though there were never any invalid characters just somehow the computer got mixed up it all works now. I am just trying to figure out why it got so confused.
    • Marked as answer by reigh7 Monday, March 16, 2015 7:12 PM
    Monday, March 16, 2015 7:12 PM
  • I was able to record a basic macro in which the slicer was selected and I found it does in fact dispay the name of the slicer selected. I then went into code brainstorm and though if It knows the name it might also know the ID. Usign =cell(contents, reference [cells ID is in on the power pivot table]) I created a sheet to contain all of the ID in one column. Then I can write a for each next statement in excel to define the name of the slicer for each row that is not null. I can then use that for each statement to define a variable that changes for each time the variable changes and write additional things to the object model such as printing the templates for each of the variable names. This should allow me to programmatically select the first and each additional ID set it as the variable  and then run a print operation based on a count of how many pages to print based on another variable dividing the products by how many fit on a page + and integer for additional blanks to be added by hand charting later.
    • Marked as answer by reigh7 Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:55 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:55 PM
  • I could also write a form control to popup a message box asking if you wanted to print the selected document or select a default slicer record and execute a macro based on the response to select the slicer.
    • Marked as answer by reigh7 Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:17 PM
    • Edited by reigh7 Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:17 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:17 PM