Installed Windows 8 but no account created? Need help all read

Question

• I installed windows 8 on a Toshiba laptop. Setup was successful. After finishing up with the location, keyboard and language it came up with custom or reconfigured settings (Update, applications, etc). Only I changed was configure windows updates later. After that I slecteded next until my laptop restarted again. After restarting it came strait to the windows log on windows. Guess and admin accounts are disabled. It only gives me the option to log in with a local account or email account. I have no cd drive on the laptop so cant reformat, can't boot from usb and can't get to desktop. How can I override this. I formated over windows 7 but had all the files placed in a folder named windows.old ... Did not keep any user files or settings.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 9:09 AM

All replies

• Hello FallenHeroz,

In other instances where a user account was not created, it seemed to be a problem with the download of the ISO.
    Download the ISO again as it may be corrupt. Windows 7 included native support for burning ISO files to CD or DVD.
    On Windows 7, the easiest way to convert this file is to use Windows Disc Image Burner
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-from-an-ISO-file

You can check the ISO Sha 1 hash before installing to be sure there are no missing files in the download.
    Check the hash from the download site for your particular version you download.

Then I would reinstall with the new burned file and see if you get the correct option.

See thread below:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/25c7bada-060e-4136-8040-298e52fc7eae

Please reply back with an update.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 7:37 PM
  • I can't boot from a cd or dvd. I have no drive in my laptop also the bios does not support usb booting. Is there a way to boot from a usb but making the motherboard think it is a dvd?
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:53 PM
  • You can use a USB flash drive that contains the installation files. However, make sure that all of the files are there and not corrupted same as if you were creating a CD/DVD. You don't have to install from CD/DVD.

See: How to create a bootable USB flash disk for the Windows Developer Preview Edition?
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/661d46c3-f6b9-41a4-a696-9d8c225208b6

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:59 PM
  • The bios does not support booting from a usb flash drive. I tried my windows 7 ultimate usb already. 
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 12:33 AM
  • Hi FallenHeroz

I don't quite understand this. If you do not have a CD/DVD drive, and cannot use a USB flash drive, how did you install W8 (or any OS) on the laptop. What has changed between the initial install of W8 and now.

I don't know any details about the laptop but would assume it was possible to select the boot media in the bios.

Given the situation (as I understand it) I do not see how formatting the drive would help but perhaps one way of doing this would be to re-initialise the drive within the bios.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Bios Supports

- Hard drive boot

- Floppy drive boot

- Network boot

- SD Boot

- CD/DVD boot but no CD/DVD drive was designed in to the laptop it's self. Only supports External CD/DVD drive once the laptop has been booted up to the desktop.

Bios Does NOT Support

- Memory stick or external harddrive (Already tryed).

- Or any other developed bootmethods after 2004

Story of the Operating Systems

- Buy laptop for 400$ from a friend with cracked Win XP

- Bought Windows Vista from Ebay. Used desktop to extract the files and transfered them through wireless to the laptop and installed windows vista from the desktop.

- 2010 buy new laptop for university and comes with Windows 7 Home. I put windows home on the old laptop the same way as i did with windows vista and payed out of my ass for windows ultimate.

- 2011 download windows 8 and use it for several mounths and a few days a go I wanted to try it on my old laptop that has a tough pen screen in it. (Did it like Windows 7 and Vista).

My Problem

The files I used to install the os work just fine. I used the files more than 20 times to reinstall windows 8 on my new laptop. My toshiba has 1.5 gb of ram, 2.1 GHz single processer and 256 mb of video ram. Installation showed no errors. How would I be able to recover/restore or reinstall the operating system. The only way I can think of is to remove the harddrive and use a different laptop which I tried but my new laptop doesn't support the old hard drive.

Monday, January 09, 2012 10:15 PM
  • BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!BUMP FOR HELP!
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Hello FallenHeroz,

What operating system is currently on your Toshiba laptop?
    How was it installed?

If Windows Developer Preview is already on your laptop which is what I am inferring, then you can boot the laptop and hit F8 to get into the advanced options.
    From there you can do a Reset or Refresh of your PC. I would suggest you Reset your PC which is a new install and essentially starting over. Be sure you create a administrative user account.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:41 PM
  • Windows 7 -----> Windows 8 (Installed from desktop). AKA I removed the files from the ISO with winrar and clicked the install button.

I booted up my laptop and hit F8. The only options I am given is "Continue - Exit and continue to Windows Developer Preview" and "Turn off your PC".

Now what?

Monday, January 16, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Come on microsoft give me a freaking option or I'm going to through my laptop(s) a way and get a Mav
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Your old computer would have been built around the technology of the day and it looks as though that included installing the OS from floppy disc. Not a practical solution for W8. If you upgrade the bios it might give other alternatives for booting.

Or you could throw it away and get a Mac.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:23 AM
  • Hello FallenHeroz,

As drh stated, your best option would be to upgrade BIOS and see if you get more options for booting.

However, when you first installed the Windows Developer Preview, were you asked for an Windows Live email address?
    This should have been an option or if you choose to not use a Windows Live account, you should have created a local account to logon with.
    Do you still have Windows 7 installed?

See if you can get in Safe Mode and get to a command prompt and enable the built in adminstrator account.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:25 PM
  • When I installed windows 8 the first time it didn't give me the option to create an account. Long story short I took the hard drive out connected it to my main laptop and copied the windows 8 files to the C:/ drive on the harddrive and shoved it back in the laptop and it allowed me to reinstall the windows 8
    Monday, January 23, 2012 5:06 AM
  • Hi FallenHeroz,

can you plug in a USB with the WDP installation files on it and start the installation? Instead of selecting Install now, select the other troubleshooting options given on the lower left of the installation box. Try all repair options given there.

Irfan
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:31 PM