none
how install win 7 from msdn subscriptions dvd? RRS feed

• Question

• I received 2 DVDs in the VS2010 professional package. The 2nd is "msdn subscriptions" and contains windows server, windows 7 and sql server. I want to install windows 7 on a PC but when I boot the PC from the DVD I get the prompt to install windows server. No option to install window7.  How do I boot and install windows 7 from the "msdn subscriptions" DVD?

thanks,

Friday, October 21, 2011 10:24 PM

Answers

• Continue the installation with Windows 8 server.  Soon after, you'll see a screen that lets you pick which flavor Windows Server you want, or Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

• Marked as answer by Steve Richter Monday, September 10, 2012 4:24 PM
    Sunday, September 2, 2012 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hey Steve,

On this second disc, What's the Title and the Disc Number?  You may see a disc number, or look for a small part number in the form of X12-12345.

It may be that you've purchased the VS 2010 Professional with MSDN Essentials, and in which case the MSDN Essentials portion of your purchase is actually access to MSDN Subscriber Downloads with an MSDN Essentials subscription, and not something that comes in the box with VS 2010 Professional.   

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
    Mike 

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Hey Steve,

On this second disc, What's the Title and the Disc Number?  You may see a disc number, or look for a small part number in the form of X12-12345.

It may be that you've purchased the VS 2010 Professional with MSDN Essentials, and in which case the MSDN Essentials portion of your purchase is actually access to MSDN Subscriber Downloads with an MSDN Essentials subscription, and not something that comes in the box with VS 2010 Professional.   

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
    Mike 

Hi Mike,

The title of the DVD is "MSDN Subscriptions" x64 software only. Windows server 2008 R2 standard, Windows 7 ultimate, microsoft sql server 2008 developer.   X16-57657-01.

there are no ISO files on the DVD.

thanks,

Monday, October 24, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hey Steve,

Looking into this. I'm contacting a few folks to see if I can get to the bottom of this.  I'll let you know.

Thanks,
    Mike 

Monday, October 24, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Hey Steve,

Looking into this. I'm contacting a few folks to see if I can get to the bottom of this.  I'll let you know.

Thanks,
    Mike 

Still interested to know how to select the OS to install from the MSDN subscription DVD.

thanks,

Friday, December 9, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Continue the installation with Windows 8 server.  Soon after, you'll see a screen that lets you pick which flavor Windows Server you want, or Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

• Marked as answer by Steve Richter Monday, September 10, 2012 4:24 PM
    Sunday, September 2, 2012 6:09 PM