Cannot find correlation id in sharepoint log RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to configure a newly created publishing portal on SharePoint 2010 but whenever I change the masterpage and browse the welcome page I get an error. But I'm stuck trying to figure out the cause of the error because there's no entries in the sharepoint log for that particular correlation id. This is what I've tried so far:

• Setting the "Least critical event to report to the event log" and "Least critical event to report to the trace log" for "All categories" in CA to "Verbose"
    • Searching through the log file in SharePoint and using the PowerShell get-splogevent returns no result.
    • Configuring the web.config files under VirtualDirectories and 14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS to display the entire stack trace

I don't have access to the database so I can't browse the ULSTraceLog table. This is also a single server setup, so the error log is not logged anywhere else. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do?

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, December 13, 2010 4:23 PM (9th today) SP 2010 questions go ONLY to SP 2010 forums (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, December 13, 2010 4:12 PM

Answers

• I was able to solve the problem but not by using the correlation id. It turns out the server was indeed load balanced and although I never found the correlation id on the other server, aligning the web.config files on both servers solved the problem.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:39 AM

All replies

• I was able to solve the problem but not by using the correlation id. It turns out the server was indeed load balanced and although I never found the correlation id on the other server, aligning the web.config files on both servers solved the problem.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:39 AM
  • I have set up single VM with all components as per the Real World SharePoint 2010 (Indispensable Experiences from 22 MVPs) and in the chapter on monitoring it mentions how to use the correlation id of a reported problem to trace the fault in the log file. My issue is that there is no match for the correlation id around the time of the reported problem. I too have set all diagnostic logging to verbose but have been unable to locate the correlation id anywhere. Is there something else I should be doing? I have found nothing helpful anywhere, even the merging of log files as per the post here hasn't helped (I didn't expect it to anyway as I only have a single VM).
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Did you find an answer to this?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:04 PM