Mirror Image RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,
    I've played around with the align and distribute tools, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to mirror things around a central axis, like placing eyes or features symmetrically on a view of an animal. Is there any way to do this?
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:02 AM

Answers

• There seems to be an imprecise way to do it in ED1.

Try:

1 - Draw the object

2 - Ctrl+C > Ctrl+F to place a copy in front (further exploration is to try Edit > Clone or Edit > duplicate to see what they do)

3 - select a central registration point on the selected object

4 - hover over the registration point in the object until compass points appear > drag the registation point to some place suitable (tangent: maybe X-Y coords redout would be handy?  To improve precision try to draw a line of symmetry to take out the guess work a bit)

5 - rotate the object > reflect (Arrange > Transform)

I'd suggest trying Ctrl+C > Ctrl+F to see how that works.

After that try Edit > Clone.  Then transform as above (A transform pallet, erm panel might be helpful?)

One advantage of Clone is that any nodal adjustments made to the source object are updated in the cloned object :)
    Friday, December 12, 2008 12:52 AM

All replies

• Interesting. I posted a reply to this thread but it isn't showing.

Try the reflect feature in the Arrange > Transform > Reflect (vertical or horizontal) menu and see if you can get the results you're after.
    Annie
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Hmmm... that does work when I manipulate the Registration point, but is there a way to sort of set a point I want the registration point to snap to? Sort of a central axis? Otherwise I'm kind of guessing at the center, something equally imprecise.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:31 PM
  • There seems to be an imprecise way to do it in ED1.

Try:

1 - Draw the object

2 - Ctrl+C > Ctrl+F to place a copy in front (further exploration is to try Edit > Clone or Edit > duplicate to see what they do)

3 - select a central registration point on the selected object

4 - hover over the registration point in the object until compass points appear > drag the registation point to some place suitable (tangent: maybe X-Y coords redout would be handy?  To improve precision try to draw a line of symmetry to take out the guess work a bit)

5 - rotate the object > reflect (Arrange > Transform)

I'd suggest trying Ctrl+C > Ctrl+F to see how that works.

After that try Edit > Clone.  Then transform as above (A transform pallet, erm panel might be helpful?)

One advantage of Clone is that any nodal adjustments made to the source object are updated in the cloned object :)
    Friday, December 12, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Unfortunately, the one thing on an object that doesn't snap is the registration point. We've had requests for it but I haven't heard whether this will be added in the next version of Design.

You might try using guides to align your objects. 

Annie
    Friday, December 12, 2008 1:07 AM

• maybe this can be of some help this is done in design 1
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:06 PM