none
Outlook 2007 Add-In Not Loading RRS feed

• Question

• I developed an extensive Add-In for Outlook 2007 and 2010 using VS2008 SP1. It is built with AnyCPU.
    It works great on my dev machine both within VS2008 and release version outside VS2008.
    I developed insatller using Advanced Installer and it installs fine on the test VM which is Win7 32bit with Outlook 2007. However when I launch Outlook it is not loaded.I deploy PIA2007, VSTO3 and VSTO 3 SP1, VC2008 Redist, .NET 3.5SP1. The add-in is listed in Incative items and the LoadBehavior after this becomes 2 instead of 3. Obviously changing it back to 3 helps nothing. When I placed a MessageBox as the fisrt line in ThisAddIn_Startup it is not called. I read quite a few articles - some of them (related to VS2005 VSTO) talk about setting security policy on the user machines, etc. However, it seems strange that other add-ins I developed for Outlook 2007/2010 require nothing like this and deployed fine using the same Advanced Installer. There are no errors generated ANYWHERE (including the logs) during installation, nor in event logs. The bottom line - I am lost. My add-in includes about 20 projects/assemblies and works great on my dev machine. How can I find what's going on on the user machine that creates a run-time error... Is there any tool? Since my add-in does not load all file logging in it is useless...

LH
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:57 AM

Answers

• No. The article says the steps don't cover all the troubleshooting possible for VSTO addins, not that the article doesn't apply to VSTO addins.The article is useful for debugging VSTO addins, especially where load failures at runtime are occurring.

If no Fusion logs were created at all, and the logging registry entries were created correctly, the addin is never attempting to load when Outlook starts. That means it's either disabled (check in the disabled items list), not registered correctly, or the security isn't set up correctly. Those would be the things I'd be checking first.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"securigy" <=?utf-8?B?c2VjdXJpZ3k=?=> wrote in message news:839a16f6-09e2-49ee-b7fd-5fb2b23e2cd9...

As I described in my original post, my Outlook Add-In is VSTO 3 Add-In. The article you pointed to says that all thse steps (except some, not clear which ones) do not apply to VSTO Add-Ins. Still I created registry entry that is supposed to enable so-called Fusion logging. I set the LoadBehavior to 3, and then started Outlook. No logs were produced under c:\Fusion directory and my add-in not loaded. May be you can indicated what other steps in the article are applicable to VSTO add-in or other that is applicable to VSO add-in. Some more info that I did not mention previously:
    - Some of the assemblies are using .NET 2.0 and some (including the main Add-In assembly) is using ..NET 3.5
    - I am intalling to %AddData%\ProductName rather than into %Program Files%\ProductName, although I tried Program FIles too without any success.
    Still with all that I can see the add-in in Outlook: Tools | Trust Center | Add-Ins | Inactive Items.
    I also can see VSTO, 2007 PIA, VC++ redistributable 9.0.30729.4148 and 9.0.30729.5570.
    I also installed ..NET 3,5  and VSTO SP1 although they dont show in CP.

LH

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, May 30, 2011 8:58 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

check the other projects if they are all set to AnyCPU.

I think one of the Dlls has a wrong format (X86)

See if that helps.

Greets - Helmut

Helmut Obertanner [http://www.obertanner.de] [http://www.outlooksharp.de]
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:58 AM
    Answerer
  • I did discover that there was one project refrenced (among 24) that was relying on unmanaged code build as x86... althogh why it should matter if I deploy all this to 32-bit machine?
    Anyway I followed your suggestion and rebuilt everything to x86. Again, all installed fine without errors, but Outlook won't load it.
    I also have a another DLL which is COM (unmanaged as well) with its generated interop counterpart. I do register that dll on end-user machine (equivalent to regsvr32 my.dll).
    Not sure what else to think. Seems rediculous that there are absolutely no means of knowing what's going on at runtime at release mode with my plug-in... or is there something i dont know? How MS developed all these AddIns blindly like that? I am stuck on this for 4 days now, playing a guesswork... Is there any log that Outlook generates? some trace listener that I can enable through tracemon or similar SKD tools?

LH
    Friday, May 20, 2011 9:39 AM

• --
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"securigy" <=?utf-8?B?c2VjdXJpZ3k=?=> wrote in message news:7653f1e2-1e1a-423a-b335-003eb509b293...
    I did discover that there was one project refrenced (among 24) that was relying on unmanaged code build as x86... althogh why it should matter if I deploy all this to 32-bit machine?
    Anyway I followed your suggestion and rebuilt everything to x86. Again, all installed fine without errors, but Outlook won't load it.
    I also have a another DLL which is COM (unmanaged as well) with its generated interop counterpart. I do register that dll on end-user machine (equivalent to regsvr32 my.dll).
    Not sure what else to think. Seems rediculous that there are absolutely no means of knowing what's going on at runtime at release mode with my plug-in... or is there something i dont know? How MS developed all these AddIns blindly like that? I am stuck on this for 4 days now, playing a guesswork... Is there any log that Outlook generates? some trace listener that I can enable through tracemon or similar SKD tools?

LH

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, May 20, 2011 1:38 PM
  • As I described in my original post, my Outlook Add-In is VSTO 3 Add-In. The article you pointed to says that all thse steps (except some, not clear which ones) do not apply to VSTO Add-Ins. Still I created registry entry that is supposed to enable so-called Fusion logging. I set the LoadBehavior to 3, and then started Outlook. No logs were produced under c:\Fusion directory and my add-in not loaded. May be you can indicated what other steps in the article are applicable to VSTO add-in or other that is applicable to VSO add-in. Some more info that I did not mention previously:
    - Some of the assemblies are using .NET 2.0 and some (including the main Add-In assembly) is using .NET 3.5
    - I am intalling to %AddData%\ProductName rather than into %Program Files%\ProductName, although I tried Program FIles too without any success.
    Still with all that I can see the add-in in Outlook: Tools | Trust Center | Add-Ins | Inactive Items.
    I also can see VSTO, 2007 PIA, VC++ redistributable 9.0.30729.4148 and 9.0.30729.5570.
    I also installed .NET 3,5  and VSTO SP1 although they dont show in CP.

LH
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 4:34 AM
  • No. The article says the steps don't cover all the troubleshooting possible for VSTO addins, not that the article doesn't apply to VSTO addins.The article is useful for debugging VSTO addins, especially where load failures at runtime are occurring.

If no Fusion logs were created at all, and the logging registry entries were created correctly, the addin is never attempting to load when Outlook starts. That means it's either disabled (check in the disabled items list), not registered correctly, or the security isn't set up correctly. Those would be the things I'd be checking first.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"securigy" <=?utf-8?B?c2VjdXJpZ3k=?=> wrote in message news:839a16f6-09e2-49ee-b7fd-5fb2b23e2cd9...

As I described in my original post, my Outlook Add-In is VSTO 3 Add-In. The article you pointed to says that all thse steps (except some, not clear which ones) do not apply to VSTO Add-Ins. Still I created registry entry that is supposed to enable so-called Fusion logging. I set the LoadBehavior to 3, and then started Outlook. No logs were produced under c:\Fusion directory and my add-in not loaded. May be you can indicated what other steps in the article are applicable to VSTO add-in or other that is applicable to VSO add-in. Some more info that I did not mention previously:
    - Some of the assemblies are using .NET 2.0 and some (including the main Add-In assembly) is using ..NET 3.5
    I also installed ..NET 3,5  and VSTO SP1 although they dont show in CP.

LH

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, May 30, 2011 8:58 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Hi LH,

Have you resolved your problem yet? If you still have any concern on the thread, feel free to follow up.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:59 AM