Populating Sharepoint list from XML web services RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Sharepoint. I created a Helpdesk List Form in sharepoint. I added a XML Web Service to my Sharepoint site using Sharepoint Designer 2007. Now, I need some fields (such as Last Name, First Name, email, code) from the Helpdesk list form to be populate from the web service that I added. Please Help or let me know if this is possible. Or, is there a work around.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, June 3, 2011 6:10 AM using spd (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi MrsGee,

In SPD, expand the Data Source Library task pane.

1. Click XML Web Services
    2. Click Connect to a web service
    3. Under the General tab, give your web data source a name
    4. Switch to the Source tab and enter the web service you want to connect:
      a: (for a list choose) http://<yourservername>/_vti_bin/lists.asmx
    5. Click connect now
    6. Under Operation, choose which web service connection you want
    7. Click OK
    8. Insert a data view control on your page and in the Data Source Library, click the drop down next to the web service you just created (expand XML Web Services again and you'll see it) and select Show Data.
    9. Hopefully your connection won't bomb out and give you the terrible 'The server has returned a non-specific error...' error.
    10. If everything worked ok, choose what fields you want from the data source and they're added to your page.

Hope this helps

Moderator Note: NEVER propose your own posts as answers. The function is there so you can propose the good answers of other people. Not your own.
    • Proposed as answer by Monster-Artist Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:11 AM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:11 AM Moderator added about not proposing own posts
    • Proposed as answer by jzweifel Monday, September 26, 2011 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:32 PM