none
Kinect SDK roadmap RRS feed

• Question

• HI

Is Microsoft continuing to work on further versions of Kinect SDK or are we at the end of the product. Because as of now there are no specific Kinect sensors for Windows app development available. 

Monday, June 15, 2015 9:41 AM

Answers

• Not the reason they stopped producing Kinect for Windows v2. From what I understand few bought that version of Kinect and the deal to continue to produce them expired without renewal. As far as I know Xbox One Kinects are still being produced by Microsoft. Also there isn't much difference between a Windows Kinect and an Xbox One  Kinect. Microsoft now only offers to buy an Xbox One Kinect along with the adapter.

• Edited by Yanis Lukes Monday, June 15, 2015 8:05 PM Xbox One Kinects still produced
    • Marked as answer by Saugat M Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:37 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 10:39 AM
  • You should be able to use just the Xbox One Kinect with the adapter for windows.

The only difference I've heard is that the Xbox One Kinect can't be extended as far as the Kinect V2 for Windows; but I haven't confirmed that myself.

Everywhere I've seen has indicated that there won't be a difference programming wise.

Monday, June 15, 2015 4:41 PM

All replies

• Not the reason they stopped producing Kinect for Windows v2. From what I understand few bought that version of Kinect and the deal to continue to produce them expired without renewal. As far as I know Xbox One Kinects are still being produced by Microsoft. Also there isn't much difference between a Windows Kinect and an Xbox One  Kinect. Microsoft now only offers to buy an Xbox One Kinect along with the adapter.

• Edited by Yanis Lukes Monday, June 15, 2015 8:05 PM Xbox One Kinects still produced
    Monday, June 15, 2015 10:39 AM
  • You should be able to use just the Xbox One Kinect with the adapter for windows.

The only difference I've heard is that the Xbox One Kinect can't be extended as far as the Kinect V2 for Windows; but I haven't confirmed that myself.

Everywhere I've seen has indicated that there won't be a difference programming wise.

Monday, June 15, 2015 4:41 PM
  • Note user Newnex Support (Newnex Technology Corp) does claim that using a 3.1 USB card may be a method of extending the range by up to 24 metres if not more without loss in performance.
    Monday, June 15, 2015 8:04 PM
  • Sorry for asking this, but I was following Kinect for Windows sensor in 2013, when it was highly anticipated to be one of the revolutionary device for building  gesture control apps. But then why is there such a drastic step that the sensor is discontinued all together. Also is there any active App development going on with the Xbox Kinect Sensor ?
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:41 AM
  • As far as I know, the sensor is not discontinued. Microsoft just stopped making boxes saying "Kinect for Windows" since the hardware is exactly the same that the Kinect for Xbox One and now they sell an adapter to connect it to a PC.

Anyway, it is true that there is no roadmap of SDK new releases which I think puts a bit of uncertainty in developers, particularly since some of the big changes from v1 to v2 that meant throwing out a lot of code for some of us.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:28 AM
  • Hey,

The Kinect was not even mentioned by Microsoft at this years E3.

The Kinect Adapters for Windows are out of stock in many countries and there is no information on resupply. As one of my products depends on that hardware platform this situation is very concerning.

So any official statement would be highly appreciated,

Best,

Markus

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:54 AM
  • The Kinect v2 was present at the E3 conference. Take a closer look at the camera rig they use to demo the Hololens. We can probably safely assume that the Kinect team are working on Hololens closely as they share very similar tech.

• Edited by Phil Noonan Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:37 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:35 PM
  • Phil,

wow, I would never have seen that, respect. The fact that there might be Kinect tech involved in the Holo Lens is quite a good thing. This pic makes me happy ;)

Ty,

Markus

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 2:33 PM