none
LE Bluetooth Proximity Reporter and Proximity Monitor RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any sample code for the Bluetooth Proximity Profile? I have studied the sample code for the Heart Rate Monitor but I am unable to find a way to register an event handler for Link Loss, Immediate Alert or Tx Power. I can read battery level of my LE Bluetooth device (so I know I can communicate with it).

Is the BluetoothLEDevice class available for Desktop applications?

How can I read Rssi for my LE Bluetooth device?

Monday, December 15, 2014 5:06 AM

All replies

• Hello Kinny,

>> Is there any sample code for the Bluetooth Proximity Profile?

You could check this link:

Bluetooth LE Proximity Profile Devices and Apps

It provides guidelines to create a device implementation of the Proximity Profile that you can use to develop a Windows Store device app that's compatible with Windows 8.1.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:31 AM
  • Hello Fred

I tried to send a reply but seems like I lost it. I've been to the link you gave me (often). It says in part 

Proximity Reporter

The Proximity Reporter is required to be a GATT server.

The Proximity Reporter supports the following GATT services:

• Link Loss Service (mandatory)
    • Immediate Alert Service (optional)
    • Tx Power Service (optional)

Proximity Monitor

The Proximity Monitor is the GATT client. It should create and maintain a connection to the proximity Reporter as well as monitor the Radio Signal Strength Information (or RSSI) of the connection to calculate the signal’s path loss. If the optional "Tx Power Service" is available on the Proximity Reporter, it can also use this additional information to normalize the RSSI value by subtracting the RSSI from the Tx Power Level.

The characteristics for the 3 services are not notifiable. The Heart Rate example uses a notifiable characteristic to register an event handler for receiving notifications. This doesn't seem to be available to the Proximity Service.

I cannot find any reference to establishing a GATT Server or reading Rssi. I have been able to establish this on both iOS and Android devices.

I wish to press a button on my LE Bluetooth device (immediate alert) and initiate code as a result.

Note that I have used the Battery Service to establish a connection to my device.

Regards

Ian

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Hello Ian,

Sorry that the link is not helpful, :(

You could post a code sample to site below to request an example for the Bluetooth Proximity Profile:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/site/requests

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:49 AM
  • Hello Fred

Thanks for your help. I have gone to the site you have suggested and hope I get some responses.

Cheers

Ian

Monday, December 22, 2014 4:18 AM