none
SQL server connectivity issue

Question

• Hi,

we have one SQL server 2005 installed but we can see data files, Binn, Logs folders and the issue is SQL error log is growth more than 40 Gb and SQL services are installed on C drive and we are not able to connect the SQL server through SSMS & CMD also. So please any one help me how to resolve this issue.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hi kartik,

check  dump file or trace file ,move old log files and make sufficient free space in c drive.

After login SSMS,You can limit on job history.

SQL Server Logs" and select "Configure" .--> 

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

• Edited by Av111 Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:12 AM trace file
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:58 AM
  • I am not able to connect the SQL server and i am not sure the instance name. I have tried to connect SSMS & CMD but not able to connect.  configure manager not installed i can see only below folders.

• Edited by karthik1202 Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:14 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:09 AM
  • check which folder taking more size ?already mention to move old log or trace,dump files.only log folder is updated till 10/110/2016.check files in log.check what is showing in error log.sql server services are running?make it start .

• Edited by Av111 Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:26 AM start sql services
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:17 AM
  • This looks like the one of the microsoft internal databases.

try to connect using Run as Administrator and then try

\\.\pipe\MSSQL$2005\sql\query.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:33 AM
  • Hi Hilary,

we don't have SSMS on same server and i have tried to connect trough CMD but SQL server Tools not available to connect. PLease suggest how to connect the sql server.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:15 AM
  • I have checked the log folder but only one SQL log file is placed and its active log and its growth is more the 40 GB.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:19 AM
  • make sure that sql services are running ?

Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:26 AM
  • Service are not available on same server. But log has expending 
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hi Kartik,

control panel -->administrative tools-->services -->mssql services -->right click start

Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:13 PM
  • karthik - this is your SQL Server Error log. As this is an internal SQL Server database - likely for small business server you can evaluate deleteing it.

Now it will be active now - what you need to do is figure out the service name and stop the service. Once stopped. restart it. The error log will now be called errorlog.1

Now you can zip it up or move it to another drive or delete it. I think it is safe to delete this file.

At a command prompt on the server do this:

net start | find /I"SQL"

Post what you see back here.

You will likely see something like this:

SQL Server (SQL2005)

If so you can stop and start SQL Server like this from the command prompt on the server

net stop "SQL Server (SQL2005")

net start "SQL Server (SQL2005")

Then you can access the error log file and zip it up, move it or delete it.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:47 PM
  • Hi All

we have found Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE) service in service.msc and we restart this service and new log get generated and now we are restarting the service and removing old SQL error logs. 

Regards,

Karthik B

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 3:06 PM