how to set third party MFT as preferred codec in media player 12 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have third party audio decoder MFT (for mp3 and aac decoder) and it is working properly with TopoEdit.exe .

I want to use this MFT while playing aac and mp3 streams in media player. I tried to change the registry setting for the preferred codecs( (in registry entry HKEY_CLASSWS_ROOT\MediaFoundation\transforms\Preferred), but its giving the following error -

can't edit.. error writing the value's new contents.

can someone explain what all i need to do to update the registry entry? how can i tell to media player that use this MFT while playing the AAA and MP3 audio stream?

Please help, I am totally struck with this now.

thanks in advance-

regards-

Santosh

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:43 AM

Answers

• MSFT does not restrict you from installing MFTs or dshow filters on Win7.  However, it restricts which filters can be used in WMP for the reasons I stated above.  Your quote from MSFT does not state that you can use 3rd party decoders with WMP 12 (or Media Center) to play back files for which they provide their own decoders.

As I stated previously, you can choose your own decoders in your own app (or use MSFT's where they are available).

Please use Vote As Helpful (green up arrow at top-left of posts) and Mark As Answer where appropriate.
    My dshow site is http://tmhare.mvps.org.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:19 AM

All replies

• The short reason is MSFT does not want you to.  WMP 12 is not your application, it is MSFT's.  If you want to use your own decoder write your own player app.

The old WMP decoding model based on filter merit did not work because filter developers got into merit wars.  Some of these filters were poorly written and some contained malware.  These caused significant problems for end users and support headaches for MSFT.

While MSFT's decoders may not be perfect, they work for the majority of situations.  That is preferable to the old situation.

An enterprising hacker may find a way around WMP's new protection, however, my understanding is that support for doing so is not provided in these forums.

Please use Vote As Helpful (green up arrow at top-left of posts) and Mark As Answer where appropriate.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Do you mean that Windows7 doesn't support third party MSFTs? but as per the clarification of MS below, third party codecs are still supported by Win7. 

"As we move toward the release of Windows 7, we have worked to add more codecs and file types to allow for a better user experience. We also allow Microsoft experiences to use codecs and other format technologies from third-party companies, just as we always have.  Third party applications can use the Microsoft codecs or their own.  Microsoft does not restrict the use of third-party codecs. – Microsoft Spokesperson"

I dont understand how we can support third party MFTs in Windows7 with WMP12? Can nyone please put some light on this...

any help would me appreciated..

Thanks-

Santosh 

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:06 AM
  • MSFT does not restrict you from installing MFTs or dshow filters on Win7.  However, it restricts which filters can be used in WMP for the reasons I stated above.  Your quote from MSFT does not state that you can use 3rd party decoders with WMP 12 (or Media Center) to play back files for which they provide their own decoders.

As I stated previously, you can choose your own decoders in your own app (or use MSFT's where they are available).

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:19 AM