Is c++ StreamSocket::ConnectAsync working?

Question

• I tried to connect to a server using StreamSocket. C++ ConnectAsync stays in Starting status. I tried on c# version, it connects without any problem. 

I couldn't find any example or discussion on using C++ StreamSocket as a client. Is anybody using c++ version without problem?

Monday, September 24, 2012 11:20 PM

All replies

• It should work fine. Take a look at the StreamSocket sample for an example.

If you still have problems with this then please post a more specific question with details about how you are calling it, the behavior that you expect, and the actual behavior that you get.

--Rob

Monday, September 24, 2012 11:29 PM
    Owner
  • The sample is for server side, not client side. 

My code is like this:

StreamSocket ^socket = ref new StreamSocket();

HostName ^host = ref new HostName(ref new Platform::String(L"address here"));

task <void>(socket->ConnectAsync(host, L"port here", SocketProtectionLevel::Ssl)).then([this](task<void> previousTask)

{

// my process block

});

but it never goes into the "my process block". So I tried to check the connect status by:

IAsyncAction ^act = socket->ConnectAsync(host, L"port here", SocketProtectionLevel::Ssl);

while(act->Status != AsyncStatus::Completed)

{

OutputDebugString(act->Status.ToString()->Data);

}

It always prints out "Started".

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:07 AM
  • Same code in c# works fine

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Please try using SocketProtectionLevel::PlainSocket

You can only use SSL/TLS connection with StreamSocket object as the client in the SSL/TLS negotiation. SSL/TLS cannot currently be used by the StreamSocketListener with the StreamSocket created when a connection is received to enable SSL/TLS on the StreamSocket created, since the SSL/TLS negotiation as a server is not implemented for a StreamSocket. The client support for SSL/TLS does not include the ability to use client certificates.

Please follow the proper step in both client and server side like StreamSocket sample  and  Secure socket connections with TLS/SSL.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:21 AM
  • I am confused. I am not writing server side code. My app is on client side. The server supports ssl. And the c# code with ssl connection can connect to the server without problem.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:15 PM
  • If you look at a network trace (Netmon or Wireshark for example) how far is the socket negotiation progressing? Is the TCP 3 way handshake completing? Is the SSL handshake started or completing? 

David Lamb

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:05 AM