Windows8- App development using HTML5 and that has access to SQL database RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everybody!

(I'm not sure where i can put my question..)

I'm trying to develop an Windows 8-App by using HTML5 and Javascript, and this App should have access to SQL database to retrieve some information from the database. I'm wondering about how to establish that? 

The situation is that i want to design

1. client-side that contain html5, Css and Javascript

2. And Server-side that must connect to SQL-databse. But I dont know what I should use, Which language, in the Server-sida to connect to the SQL database? And how to do that? 

Can i use javascript in the server-side to access SQL database? And how? For example if an special mechanism is needed to establish that?

Thanx

Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:52 PM

All replies

• Your Windows Store app will generally connect to the server as a web service.

How the server is written doesn't matter to the client so long as it exposes its data as a web service. You can use any server side language you are familiar with and your server supports. For more information you should post in one of the server development or SQL forums.

--Rob

Friday, August 30, 2013 12:16 AM
  • Your Windows Store app will generally connect to the server as a web service.

How the server is written doesn't matter to the client so long as it exposes its data as a web service. You can use any server side language you are familiar with and your server supports. For more information you should post in one of the server development or SQL forums.

--Rob

Hello!

Did you mean that ours Windows Store app will look like a web services against the server?(we have been informed that the server that we will work with it, is IIS-server)

Our colleagues told us that they used C# to contact the SQL-servers they have. Hmm, we have worked a bit with java-server-sides on an jetty-server (apache). But you say that we can use whatever language we want on the serverside (the IIS in our case). 
    So we wonder which language we can use on the IIS-server to contact their SQL-servers... What languages are more popular and very rare (javascript for example on the serverside)?

Friday, August 30, 2013 9:21 AM