error mirroing 1478 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I want start a mirroring database server.

I already Full backup database from server and restore on mirroring server with restore with no-recovery option.

All that step was successfully.

After that I start mirroring task with sql server management studio. On mirroring page I click configure security.

I select no when include witness server instance option was show. I select server (server name: svr-db) with default port (5022).

I select the mirror server instance (server name: svr-mirror) with default listener port (5022) . I use the same windows authentication to log in and I hit the next button twice.

I click start mirroring and Yes Button after that.

Than the error was show:

"The mirror database,"Name_database",has insufficient log data to preserve the log backup chain of the principal database. This may  happen is a log backup  from the principal  database has not been taken or has not been restored on the mirror database. (Microsoft  SQL server , error: 1478)"

what that i miss or what must i do to solve this error?

Please Help

best regards,

Surbakti

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:45 AM

Answers

• Dear All,

I already Full backup database from server and restore on mirroring server with restore with no-recovery option.

Hi,

You only applied full backup on mirror server with no recovery but you did not applied transaction log backup that is why you got the error message. You must take a log backup on primary and apply it on mirror with no recovery. If multiple transaction log backups has occurred after you took full backup it would be time consuming to apply all log backups so take fresh full and transaction log backup and apply both on mirror in no recovery and then start mirroring

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

As shanky suggested, you need to restore t-log backup after restoring full backup.

refer below article for Configure SQL Server Database Mirroring Using SSMS

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    Praveen Dsa | MCITP - Database Administrator 2008 | My Blog | My Page

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:11 AM

All replies

• Could you make sure that the database is in full recovery mode?

Once it is checked take a full backup and restore in mirror database with no-recovery. Now take a transactionlog backup and restore it in mirror database with no-recovery and then try to configure mirroring.

Check the full steps here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190941.aspx

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:13 AM
  • Dear All,

Hi,

You only applied full backup on mirror server with no recovery but you did not applied transaction log backup that is why you got the error message. You must take a log backup on primary and apply it on mirror with no recovery. If multiple transaction log backups has occurred after you took full backup it would be time consuming to apply all log backups so take fresh full and transaction log backup and apply both on mirror in no recovery and then start mirroring

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

As shanky suggested, you need to restore t-log backup after restoring full backup.

refer below article for Configure SQL Server Database Mirroring Using SSMS

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    Praveen Dsa | MCITP - Database Administrator 2008 | My Blog | My Page

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:11 AM