Creating a SQL Server database to store survey data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm fairly new to Developing a database and this is the first work project for me. We have an annual survey for our customers, this has been happening for many years. We have the data and we would like to create a database to store it. Each survey contains more than 300 questions(So I'll need to store the answers) and we have more than 700 customers that have been taking the survey every year.Some of the questions change every year and some of them not.

After creating the database I need to create an UI to the staff to be able to display any info they need from the DB. I don't even know where to start from neither I know how to prepare for this project. The people that will use the UI are not very good with technology so I need to create a design that will be user friendly. Any suggestions or resources to read are highly appreciated.  Thanks

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Duane Hookum's At Your Survey is posted as an Access Database application but the database structure should be the same.  Thus, you can use this as the starting point for your database design in SQL Server.

Van Dinh

• Proposed as answer by Kalman Toth Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:17 PM
  • Van,

Thank you very much for your reply. Your response and resource were helpful. Can you please explain more how can I follow the sample to design my SQL Database. I only have a 403 columns(answers) and 749 rows(customers) in an Excel sheet (this is for one year and I need to have one database to store data for 14 years). I know the best design for a DB is by dividing the data into tables and have a relationship between them. But %98 of the data available are independent and not related to each other. I don't want people to do the work for me, I just need guidance to be able to research and improve my skills. I've never designed a DB before, Except for Academic classes. 

Thanks Van.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Don't think the database is equivalent to a spreadsheet.  Spreadsheet-centric considerations almost always lead to an incorrect database structure.

If you are not familiar with Relational Database Design and Database Normalization or need a refresher, please investigate the following short articles from Microsoft:

Microsoft Knowledge Base 234208: Understanding Relational Database Design

Microsoft Knowledge Base 283878: Description of the database normalization basics

Relational Database Design can be very complex (there are very thick books that deal only with the topic) but the above should be enough to get you started.  Once you understand the articles, look back at Duane's "At your Survey" sample.

Van Dinh

• Edited by Van Dinh Friday, October 18, 2013 2:10 AM Typos
    • Marked as answer by SQLUSER1984 Friday, October 18, 2013 3:33 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 1:49 AM