none
Collecting Data and Filtering Data RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to be able to create a cusomized list that can be used to input data in various sites and then display that data in another single site. Somewhat like a help desk in that each sub group of users has their own site(s) and can input and monitor data in the list. The people working the help desk would be able to see all of the data entered at all of the different sites, but people at the differnent sites can see only their data. Note Im using Help Desk as an example.

I thought perhaps a connection to a SQL table to store/filter all of the entries depending on the site accessing the data using some internal Sharepoint functions to determine the site entering the data etc. Just not sure. I think some people refer to this as a roll-up but I think it's more involved than that.

Lee
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:57 PM

Answers

• I can think of two approaches:

First, you could use a Content Query web part to aggregate (roll-up as you say) the content from many lists into a single view.

If you need additional functionality like the ability to edit these rolled-up records, then I think your db idea is a good one. You could create this solution using Business Connectivity Services (BCS). You can create a BCS solution that backs the db and shows the data in lists (called External Lists). You can create different views of the db using BCS filters and present only the views you want to each group.

Here's the place to start

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/ee513153.aspx

Scot
    Author, Professional Business Connectivity Services

• Marked as answer by Lee Taylor Monday, September 27, 2010 2:25 PM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 9:33 AM