Custom activity with multi exit paths RRS feed

• Question

• There have been several threads around this type of request but none have provided a definitive result for my requirements.

I am creating a custom activity which contains some inner logic represented by a flow of inner activities. In some cases this inner flow ends with a FlowSwicht and now I should be abel to connect the “case-connectors” of the FlowSwicht to the outer Custom Activity connectors.
    Or is it alternatively possible to "bind" the return value of a bookmark(whene resumed) to a connecter of the activity?

But how to get there?

I spent a lot of time searching in web for a feasible way to handle this problem. I found some more or less helpful threads/blogs but there are still some components missing to make it work.

• Which component is responsible for the connectors drawn by mouse over in the designer?
    • How can i create a link from the inner FlowSwich connector to a connector of the outer custom activity?
    • Is it possible to name the custom connectors? Like FlowDecission markes its connectors with “true” and “false”?

I would appreciate any help to solve my problem.

Thanks!

Friday, May 28, 2010 8:54 AM

Answers

• Carr,  I believe you cannot create a new type inherited from FlowNode because FlowNode's contructor is internal. FlowNode is designed to forbiding being inherited. Can you tell us why Flowchart doesn't meet your request such that you need create your own flow related activity.  If you are looking for StateMachine style activity, we actually released one on codeplex(http://wf.codeplex.com/releases/view/43586). You could have a try.

• Proposed as answer by Tim Lovell-Smith Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Friday, June 4, 2010 12:25 AM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:40 PM

All replies

• Well...as far as I can see the problem is the special being of FlowNode and FlowDecision.  Both are used like FlowSteps but the only thing they have in commen with a FlowStep is the inheritance from FlowNode.

It seems that I have to create my own FlowNod wich will fit to the requirements.

Howerver I am going to try this next.... 

class CustomFlowNode : FlowNode { }

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Carr,  I believe you cannot create a new type inherited from FlowNode because FlowNode's contructor is internal. FlowNode is designed to forbiding being inherited. Can you tell us why Flowchart doesn't meet your request such that you need create your own flow related activity.  If you are looking for StateMachine style activity, we actually released one on codeplex(http://wf.codeplex.com/releases/view/43586). You could have a try.

• Proposed as answer by Tim Lovell-Smith Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Friday, June 4, 2010 12:25 AM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:40 PM