EW Update feature not working well. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - whenever I search for updates for my copy of EW the program indicates that I need EW SP1 - which I don't as it's already installed! Is there any way round this? If I do download the SP1 update, the program then indicates that it is not needed. The problem is that until this issue is solved, I cannot find if there are any later updates available.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    SteveC
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 8:06 AM

Answers

• KathyW2 said:

It's telling you the only update that is available.  There are no others.

I think I see what Steve is saying, although I don't have EW1 and can't test to see what comes up as a result of "Check for updates." In most of the other programs I use that check for updates, if you have the latest version it tells you, "There are no new updates available," or, "You have the latest version of the software," or words to that effect, instead of pointing you to an update that you have already installed.

Steve, as I mentioned, I don't have EW1 so I don't know what the dialog says that appears when you check for updates. If you look closely at the entire contents of the dialog which announces that SP1 is available, is there no mention anywhere there that you already have SP1 installed?

FWIW, as Kathy points out, SP1 is the only update available, and since EW2 has been released there is a vanishingly small likelihood that additional feature updates will be forthcoming. If it happens that there is an exploit or something developed which might threaten EW1, a security update would probably be forthcoming (like the endless series we seem to get for Office applications), but that would be offered either through the usual Microsoft Update site or through the "patch Tuesday" update push everyone gets who has at least the "tell me about it" option of Automatic Updates turned on. It would not likely be offered through the "Check for Updates" option in EW1.

So, basically, you've got now pretty much what you're going to have in EW1, and can stop worrying about checking for further updates using the in-built mechanism.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:39 PM

All replies

• It's telling you the only update that is available.  There are no others.
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 12:30 PM
  • KathyW2 said:

It's telling you the only update that is available.  There are no others.

I think I see what Steve is saying, although I don't have EW1 and can't test to see what comes up as a result of "Check for updates." In most of the other programs I use that check for updates, if you have the latest version it tells you, "There are no new updates available," or, "You have the latest version of the software," or words to that effect, instead of pointing you to an update that you have already installed.

Steve, as I mentioned, I don't have EW1 so I don't know what the dialog says that appears when you check for updates. If you look closely at the entire contents of the dialog which announces that SP1 is available, is there no mention anywhere there that you already have SP1 installed?

FWIW, as Kathy points out, SP1 is the only update available, and since EW2 has been released there is a vanishingly small likelihood that additional feature updates will be forthcoming. If it happens that there is an exploit or something developed which might threaten EW1, a security update would probably be forthcoming (like the endless series we seem to get for Office applications), but that would be offered either through the usual Microsoft Update site or through the "patch Tuesday" update push everyone gets who has at least the "tell me about it" option of Automatic Updates turned on. It would not likely be offered through the "Check for Updates" option in EW1.

So, basically, you've got now pretty much what you're going to have in EW1, and can stop worrying about checking for further updates using the in-built mechanism.

cheers,
    scott

Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:39 PM
  • Thanks for the replies both of you. Yes - you have hit it on the head, Scott: I have SP1 yet keep being 'told' I need SP1. So - no more updates for a still glitchy product. I wish I'd stayed with FP2003 and saved my money and patience! Updating to EW2 would be throwing good money after bad as the same "slowness when auto-spellchecker is activated" glitch recurs as I've covered in another thread.

What products. What a company.
    SteveC
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:18 AM
  • Scampo said:

Thanks for the replies both of you. Yes - you have hit it on the head, Scott: I have SP1 yet keep being 'told' I need SP1. So - no more updates for a still glitchy product. I wish I'd stayed with FP2003 and saved my money and patience! Updating to EW2 would be throwing good money after bad as the same "slowness when auto-spellchecker is activated" glitch recurs as I've covered in another thread.

What products. What a company.

SteveC

Well, FWIW, unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world, or one in stasis. ;-)

Staying with FP really isn't an option if you plan for anyone with a browser more modern than IE 5.5 to view your pages. Even if more and more hosting providers weren't opting out of installing/supporting FPSE, FP just doesn't produce markup that is either standards-compliant or consistently workable in modern browsers. So, if you had stuck with FP, you'd instead find yourself more and more often in an FP forum somewhere asking, "Why doesn't this work in so-and-so browser?"

Software's not perfect, browsers aren't consistent, and we get to ride the pony. Yee-ha! ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Yes - good points all. Thanks for the comments and help! I see that my website looks poor in the latest Firefox, even though it was fine before the latest upgrade. I'm no use at HTML markup so rely on WYSIWYG for much of my coding. I have no idea how to make EW1 cretae Firefox compliant code. Somehting for when I have a few days spare, I suppose!
    SteveC
    Monday, November 24, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Scampo said:

Yes - good points all. Thanks for the comments and help! I see that my website looks poor in the latest Firefox, even though it was fine before the latest upgrade. I'm no use at HTML markup so rely on WYSIWYG for much of my coding. I have no idea how to make EW1 cretae Firefox compliant code. Somehting for when I have a few days spare, I suppose!

SteveC

For a good start when you have the time, download and view Cheryl's "Build a Basic Web Site" video tutorial
    http://by-expression.com/media/p/1300.aspx. It's for EW2, but I believe that all the basic tools she uses in the tutorial are also present in EW1, so you shouldn't have a problem.

You can also download the files used in the tutorial from the same location. The first time through I would just view it, paying attention, of course. ;-)

The second time through, use the pause to work along with the tutorial (which is why I recommend download instead of view online--no net latency), using the files provided in the zip file. The video is about 80-90 minutes or so, and if you watch it and then work through it, you will be surprised how much more you understand about EW, positioning, and CSS. And you'll be a lot further along toward producing compliant and cross-browser compatible pages.

cheers,
    scott
    • Edited by paladyn Monday, November 24, 2008 9:13 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Thanks Scott - some Christmas viewing there and it looks very good indeed! Problem is the site has been up and running for some years and has grown into quite a significant thing that would take me forever to recode I expect. I update its content regularly but haven't used CSS owing to the amount of work involved.
    SteveC
    Monday, November 24, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Scampo said:

Thanks Scott - some Christmas viewing there and it looks very good indeed! Problem is the site has been up and running for some years and has grown into quite a significant thing that would take me forever to recode I expect. I update its content regularly but haven't used CSS owing to the amount of work involved.

SteveC

Yeah, I can understand the situation. One nice thing is that you can start with one page or one small section of the site comprising a few pages, redo it using EW and standards-compliant markup and CSS, even keeping the same look and feel if you want to continue to match the rest of the site. Then, when you have it the way you want it, create a DWT from it (that video shows you how ;-), and use it to update other pages, one by one, as you have the time, starting with the DWT and just moving your existing content over for each page. No need to consume the whole tuna at once, finger-sandwich size bites will eventually get it done. ;-)

Another advantage of that approach is that since you will have your own custom DWT, in the future you can update the look and feel of those pages built from it without having to touch each page.

cheers,
    scott

Monday, November 24, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Now that is good advice and something I didn't even know was possible. I'd spoken to a web designer friend who suggested otherwise but it's clear he was wrong. I'll be looking not it as I don't like the feeling that some folk out there cannot avail themselves of my wonderful web site! (-;

Again - thanks for the advice. Sound, accessible and practical.
    SteveC
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:18 AM
  • I create a stylesheet and DWT when the look and feel mirror the existing tag soup site. I use it to create new pages. As time permits move older pages to it as you clean them up. (I have found that I update content on the pages as I clean it up.)

Pat and Tina have an chook and class on how to make the clean-up and migration easier. http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/
    MS MVP Expression http://by-expression.com
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:10 PM