WebMail Helper RRS feed

• Question

• User-371148474 posted

ok,

am having different pages on the website that uses WebMail helper..

I want some to be sent by a different account

Can I copy the Webmail settings from the _AppStart to the pages, and change their Username and Password information..

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:22 AM

Answers

• User-1454326058 posted

Hi hardweezy,

To use the WebMail helper, you have to have access to an SMTP server. (SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.) An SMTP server is an email server that only forwards messages to the recipient’s server — it's the outbound side of email. If you use a hosting provider for your website, they probably set you up with email and they can tell you what your SMTP server name is. If you're working inside a corporate network, an administrator or your IT department can usually give you the information about an SMTP server that you can use. If you're working at home, you might even be able to test using your ordinary email provider, who can tell you the name of their SMTP server. You typically need:

• The name of the SMTP server.
    • The port number. This is almost always 25. However, your ISP may require you to use port 587. If you are using secure sockets layer (SSL) for email, you might need a different port. Check with your email provider.
    • Credentials (user name, password).

So, you could use other SMTP server.

More information, please refer to:

# Sending Email from an ASP.NET Web Pages (Razor) Site

http://www.asp.net/web-pages/tutorials/email-and-search/11-adding-email-to-your-web-site

Thanks

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:47 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

What if your Host company does'nt allow SMTPs instead they allow CDOsys

That doesn't make sense. CDOSys is an old COM based mail library used for generating email messages. SMTP is one of the protocols that is used to transmit an email message once it's been generated. They are not the same thing at all.

Older hosting servers used to include an SMTP server, but they have been removed as spammers used to hijack poorly secured ones and use them as relays. So really your only option is to use an external SMTP service. GMail is the one that's used most often. You can continue to use that from your site - unless you have another SMTP account somewhere, in which case you can use that instead.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:00 AM

All replies

• User938738290 posted

What have you tried?

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:28 AM
  • User-371148474 posted

Nothing,

Just asking if its the right thing to do

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:36 AM
  • User938738290 posted

hardweezy

Can I copy the Webmail settings from the _AppStart to the pages, and change their Username and Password information.

Yes!  Visual Studio supports Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V to copy and paste.

If you wanted to know whether that would do what you expect it to do during execution, I would recommend you try it.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:38 AM
  • User-371148474 posted

how  do i bypass that...Locally, I have been testing the application using google's smtp settings

Now, I want to take it online but got this news from my hosting partners

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:45 AM
  • User-1454326058 posted

Hi hardweezy,

To use the WebMail helper, you have to have access to an SMTP server. (SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.) An SMTP server is an email server that only forwards messages to the recipient’s server — it's the outbound side of email. If you use a hosting provider for your website, they probably set you up with email and they can tell you what your SMTP server name is. If you're working inside a corporate network, an administrator or your IT department can usually give you the information about an SMTP server that you can use. If you're working at home, you might even be able to test using your ordinary email provider, who can tell you the name of their SMTP server. You typically need:

• The name of the SMTP server.
    • The port number. This is almost always 25. However, your ISP may require you to use port 587. If you are using secure sockets layer (SSL) for email, you might need a different port. Check with your email provider.
    • Credentials (user name, password).

So, you could use other SMTP server.

More information, please refer to:

# Sending Email from an ASP.NET Web Pages (Razor) Site

http://www.asp.net/web-pages/tutorials/email-and-search/11-adding-email-to-your-web-site

Thanks

Best Regards

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:47 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

That doesn't make sense. CDOSys is an old COM based mail library used for generating email messages. SMTP is one of the protocols that is used to transmit an email message once it's been generated. They are not the same thing at all.

Older hosting servers used to include an SMTP server, but they have been removed as spammers used to hijack poorly secured ones and use them as relays. So really your only option is to use an external SMTP service. GMail is the one that's used most often. You can continue to use that from your site - unless you have another SMTP account somewhere, in which case you can use that instead.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:00 AM