biztalk receive location for vpn tunnel RRS feed

• Question

• We have a VPN tunnel that has been set up to receive messages from an external vendor. I need to be able to set up a receive location on Biztalk to "listen" for any messages coming across that tunnel and then send the messages to a specific folder (using a send port). But I have no idea how to set up the receive location. In the past I have always set it up to look at a specific folder. I have the port number where the data will be coming through but do not see where I can set that up. Any help would be appreciated. I have looked online but haven't seen anything yet that is the same issue as mine.

thanks.

Friday, May 20, 2011 3:15 PM

Answers

• Decided to go with the HL7 Acelerator. Have some questions on that but will start a new post.
    • Marked as answer by J-Bal Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which Receive Adapter are you using? Where within your architecture is the BizTalk Receive Adapter deployed? (DMZ, Corporate network)

For instance, if you have deployed the HTTP Receive Adapter in the corporate network (inside your filewall), you would use a proxy server (ISA/TMG) to proxy traffic through your firewall to the internal BizTalk HTTP Receive Adapter instance (hosted in IIS on the same machine as BizTalk). 

It not completely clear where the VPN is located in your setup.  Is the VPN tunnel between you (DMZ) and your clients server, or between your DMZ and your BizTalk Server?

Thanks,

William

• Marked as answer by Andrew_ZhuModerator Sunday, May 29, 2011 2:12 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by J-Bal Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:02 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 3:55 PM
  • The VPN tunnel is accessible inside our network directly.

Not sure what you mean by receive adapter unless you are referring to the receive location/port in biztalk itself.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:08 PM
  • You can use the WCF NetTcp binding to receive the messages if you can make the traffic through VPN tunnel get routed to your BizTalk machines.

Walkthrough: Using the Transport Security Mode with the WCF-NetTcp Adapter

Walkthrough: Using the Message Security Mode with the WCF-NetTcp Adapter

Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if My Reply Does, Regards, -Rohit
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:47 PM
  • A VPN tunnel is pretty much irrelevant to you from a BizTalk point-of-view.  All the VPN does is allow your network see your vendor's network and visa versa (although probably highly limited on what services it can access).

You implement a receive location like you would do for anything else.  If you've gone to the effort of a VPN its likely you'll be wanting to use files (as web-services can be tunnelled independently of a VPN with HTTPS).  You just need to know where they'll be putting their files.  It's likely you won't have DNS or NetBIOS resolution through your VPN so you'll need to access the server by the IP address, e.g. //1.2.3.4/Files/

If this is helpful or answers your question - please mark accordingly.
    Because I get points for it which gives my life purpose (also, it helps other people find answers quickly)
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Just got some additional info. Yes, the VPn tunnel is irrevlevant as you indicated. What I need to do is set up biztalk to listen on a tcp port # (ex: 999) usign a recive location. However I do not see an option for that in the drop down selection for 'type'. I looked at the one for WCF - Nettcp but it wants a url address so it doesn't look like it will do what I need (unless I am missing something). Is there another option to set up the receive location to listen on that port?  
    Friday, June 3, 2011 3:47 PM
  • I don't understand what sort of adapter you're trying to use?  Raw TCP?  WCF?  HTTP?  If you're using an isolated adapter, the ports will be controlled in IIS rather than in BizTalk. 

As to NetTCP it says right in the receive location configuration net.tcp://host[:port]/path

What exactly are you trying to receive and how?

Kind Regards,

-Dan

If this answers your question, please Mark as Answer
    • Edited by Dan Rosanova Friday, June 3, 2011 4:19 PM clarity
    Friday, June 3, 2011 4:17 PM
  • What is VPN?

A VPN is a private network that uses a public network (usually the Internet) to connect remote sites or users together. The VPN uses "virtual" connections routed through the Internet from the business's private network to the remote site.

So from above definition you can understand that VPN tunnel provide a way to outsiders to send something to your network. So they must send this information on a particular IP and port which is being allowed by firewall. So this IP could be assigned to a machine or usually to Network load balancer.

·         So from this particular machine or Network load balancer the data from this port can be forwarded e.g. to IIS and then you can use the HTTP adapter to receive data from it.

·         You can expose your web service to outsiders through VPN tunnel and can receive data using SOAP adapter.

Here is the example showing how to forward the data to IIS from a particular port using Putty

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/vpn-tunnel-set/

Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if My Reply Does, Regards, -Rohit
    Friday, June 3, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

It sounds if you want to receive messsages directly over TCP/IP natively.  You have a ip/host and port where you expect to receive messages over TCP/IP.  BizTalk does not have a native TCP/IP Adapter.  However, there is an implementation out on Codeplex http://btstcpip.codeplex.com/ 

Thanks,

William

Monday, June 6, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Decided to go with the HL7 Acelerator. Have some questions on that but will start a new post.
    • Marked as answer by J-Bal Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:11 PM