Resource files for default objects in server-project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

after starting my app (for the first time) I want to load some default objects into the database.

So I save a xml-file somewhere into the resources. But where?

I think, having the xml-file in the resources of the client project is *not* a good place, because of the two different clients (SL & Html). So to have it in the server project resouces it is a better place, isn't it?

Now I want to read this file from the server after the starting of the app.

How to read the xml-file from the server project from within the SL-Client?

thank you in advance

Oliver

Friday, August 30, 2013 9:26 AM

Answers

• Hi OlimilO

According to your description, it is recommanded to learn relevant topics below, I think it will be good reference for your issue,

•Localize the Server Tier

•Localize the Silverlight Client Screen

•Add Default Language Resources

•Add Localized Resources

•Call a Resource From Code

•Localize an HTML Client

# Localizing a LightSwitch Application http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/xx130603.aspx#CODE

hope it helps,

Regards

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, September 9, 2013 1:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi OlimilO

According to your description, it is recommanded to learn relevant topics below, I think it will be good reference for your issue,

•Localize the Server Tier

•Localize the Silverlight Client Screen

•Add Default Language Resources

•Add Localized Resources

•Call a Resource From Code

•Localize an HTML Client

# Localizing a LightSwitch Application http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/xx130603.aspx#CODE

hope it helps,

Regards

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, September 9, 2013 1:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Why are you not saving the xml file in the database?

By doing so, it's available at the server, the silverlight client and the html5 client.

paul van bladel

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:24 AM
  • Hi Paul,

thanks for the reply.

But I do not understand, how your idea could help me.

my program is for civil engineers, it has entities like "BuildingProjects", "BuildingSites", and "Unities"

I do not want the user to input things (unities) like "m", "mm", "cm", "inch" because this is annoying work to the user, my program should politely do this work for the user.

The user installs the program and the database on his server, then the database normally is empty. Now the user starts the program for the first time, and now I want to load default objects into the database.

Is it possible to install a database that is not empty? If so, how to do this?

thanks

Oliver

• Edited by OlimilO Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:42 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hi Angie,

my question is not about localizing, however I must learn about this topic too. I will work through the concepts and hope this can be helpful also for my issue.

thanks for your thoughts and the link.

regards

Oliver

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:41 PM
  • sure, you can store data in the database via sql scripts and run them via sql management studio or from sqlcmd (command line).

paul van bladel

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:57 PM