none
Exchange Server 2013 REST EWS service RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange Server 2013 introduces REST EWS service which enables us to retrieve user's photo either from exchange or AD server.

Does it provides this functionality only? Does REST EWS service provide APIs to pull data or items from inbox, calendar, journal and Notes etc?

If yes, then it is not documented on MSDN site.

Can you please confirm if REST EWS service provides all the API which SOAP based EWS service provides? Or does it provide only limited functionality?

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• The REST based EWS service only provides access to user photo (that's it), you need to use the SOAP based service to access all other EWS operations.

Cheers
    Glen

Friday, September 20, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Thanks Glen
    Friday, September 20, 2013 8:32 AM
  • I'm working on a REST wrapper/API for EAS to do things like pulling out items (and in time other actions as well of course). It's still in the early stages, and I wouldn't call it a production-ready API yet, but maybe it's of interest?

All open-source and available at https://easweb.codeplex.com

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:26 PM
  • Hi Glen,

Thanks for your reply.

Will REST EWS Service in Exchange Server 2013 provide all the API to access other EWS operations like authenticating with Exchange Server, pulling data from Exchange Server in near future?

If yes, then when can we expect this? Are you planning to release its Beta version?

Can you please let us know product roadmap of REST EWS Service in Exchange Server 2013?

Thanks,

Manoj

Monday, September 30, 2013 7:57 AM
  • Nothing has been announced on any intentions of extending the REST interface so I would say its safe to assume that you won't see anything in the near future.

Generally speaking something like that would be a new feature in the next version of Exchange. But I'm in no position to say either way. I would suggest you use the SOAP interface as this will work on existing versions of Exchange from 2007 and will also work in the current and future versions of Exchange.

Cheers
    Glen

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:18 AM
  • To follow up on this conversation, there are many REST APIs now available in Exchange Online.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/office365/api/api-catalog

Michael | Microsoft Exchange Developer Content

The Exchange Development Forum Guide has useful information for using the Exchange Development Forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:01 AM