none
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Installation by ClickOnce Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've created a programme and I would like to have it installed on another computer by the use of a CD-ROM. I read the help section of my Visual Basic Express Edition on that, however I'm not so sure of what to do since, I don't know if I'm to add the installation file (setup file) for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 since its one of the prerequisites selected in the Prequisites dialog box.

This is it: I published it and tried to see if I could install the programme on other machine but that machine didn't have .NET framework 3.5 SP1. So my question is on selecting the .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 in the prerequisite dialog box, how do I let the ClickOnce deployment add the setup file for the framework so that it can be installed prior to the programme on a machine which doesn't have it.

From what I read it looks like I can select the options.

1. Download prerequisites from components vendor's website.
    2. Download prerequisites from the same location as my application.
    3. Download prerequisites from the following location.

So I'm trying to guess that the first option means during installation the user will have to download the prerequisites from a site.

The second I think means the setup for the framework would be included in the folder in which my application is in, during installation by the user.

I'm I right here??????? And how would I add this setup file before publishing it then.

I think the third means a specified location I'm giving.....I'm not so sure, i'm getting confused here.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other thing is I've got audio files playing within the programme that I placed in the resource folder. I want to know how these audio files will be included in the published folder because after publishing the first time I didn't have the resource folder in the published folder for the programme to be deployed.

I'm new to VB.NET entirely so I need some help and explanations if any can be offered.

Thanks.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:31 PM

Answers

• Thank you for Anlis's kindly help.

Hi Stripes3,

As far as I know, Visual Studio can help developer to automatically install the prerequisite prior to the application. So you can try this feature and don't need to add .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup file before publishing the application.

So I'm trying to guess that the first option means during installation the user will have to download the prerequisites from a site.

The second I think means the setup for the framework would be included in the folder in which my application is in, during installation by the user.

I'm I right here??????? And how would I add this setup file before publishing it then.

I think the third means a specified location I'm giving.....I'm not so sure, i'm getting confused here.....

Yes, you're right.

In the Prerequisites dialog box, you can choose:

- If you want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to a vendor (Microsoft), click Download prerequisites from the component vendor's web site.
    - If you want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to the same location as your application installer, click Download prerequisites from the same location as my application.
    - If you want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to a different location, click Download prerequisites from the following location and enter a local path, URL, or file-share location.
    (You must make sure that the installers for the prerequisites have been copied to the specified location with a subfolder for each prerequisite.)

I found an article that shows how to install Prerequisites with a ClickOnce Application: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8st7th1x.aspx for your better understanding.

BTW, this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Since your issue is related to deployment, you could post your thread on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:32 AM
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:44 AM typo
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:35 AM

All replies

• Thank you for Anlis's kindly help.

Hi Stripes3,

As far as I know, Visual Studio can help developer to automatically install the prerequisite prior to the application. So you can try this feature and don't need to add .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup file before publishing the application.

Yes, you're right.

In the Prerequisites dialog box, you can choose:

- If you want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to a vendor (Microsoft), click Download prerequisites from the component vendor's web site.
    - If you want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to the same location as your application installer, click Download prerequisites from the same location as my application.
    - If you want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to a different location, click Download prerequisites from the following location and enter a local path, URL, or file-share location.
    (You must make sure that the installers for the prerequisites have been copied to the specified location with a subfolder for each prerequisite.)

I found an article that shows how to install Prerequisites with a ClickOnce Application: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8st7th1x.aspx for your better understanding.

BTW, this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Since your issue is related to deployment, you could post your thread on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:32 AM
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:44 AM typo
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:35 AM