ARM Hardware Device/Tablet for testing WinRT App??

Question

• I want to develop an app for WinRT/ARM device, this app is dedicated for ARM devices only, which hardware device/tablet can I buy for testing my app now?

By the way, I want to ask does WinRT use ARM chips for sure? Is there any WinRT running x86/x64?

Thanks!!

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:48 PM

Answers

• There aren't any Windows 8 ARM devices currently available. For general behavior you will need to develop and test on an x86/x64 system. Everything should work the same on ARM (if you use HTML or .Net, you don't even need to recompile), and you can do final testing on that platform when they are available.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second question. See Announcing the Windows 8 Editions for an overview of the different editions."Windows RT" is the name of the version for ARM, but Windows 8, the Windows Runtime, and Metro style apps are available on x86 and x64 systems as well.

--Rob

Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:10 PM
    Owner

All replies

• There aren't any Windows 8 ARM devices currently available. For general behavior you will need to develop and test on an x86/x64 system. Everything should work the same on ARM (if you use HTML or .Net, you don't even need to recompile), and you can do final testing on that platform when they are available.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second question. See Announcing the Windows 8 Editions for an overview of the different editions."Windows RT" is the name of the version for ARM, but Windows 8, the Windows Runtime, and Metro style apps are available on x86 and x64 systems as well.

--Rob

Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:10 PM
    Owner
  • Ok, since my app is related to video, I have to use real ARM device for testing. 

The surface will be the first ARM tablet?

Thanks!

Sunday, July 29, 2012 4:30 PM