HP Slate 500 - Home and Keyboard Keys Don't Work

Question

• Hi everyone,

I recently installed the Windows Developer Preview on my HP Slate 500. All works fine, except the Home button and Keyboard buttons don't work. I've already installed the HP Quick Launch software and that didn't fix it. I tried going into the registry and editing the HKCU\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch values, which should contain a key called "Bezel Buttons" or something, but it isn't there... I've tried adding the keys and a string named "Shell Execute" containing "calc.exe" just to see if I'm on the right path, but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? All input is appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: It's not the keyboard that doesn't work, it's the button on the left-hand side of the slate that displays the keyboard that isn't working
    • Changed type Vetletech Sunday, January 8, 2012 4:50 AM
    • Edited by Vetletech Monday, January 9, 2012 6:26 AM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 4:44 AM

Answers

• I actually got it to work by installing the HP Framework Software or something in the SwSetup\xHPSWF found on the driver disk. The buttons only work occasionally and the home button hides the windows in desktop view, as it is supposed to, instead of going to the Windows 8 Start Screen. Any ideas?
    Thanks! 
    • Marked as answer by Vetletech Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:27 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Vetletech,

first, please get all your updates, then try looking for the yellow exclamation marks indicating problem causing drivers in the Device Manager, you may reach it through the Control Panel. Look for the most recent Slate 500 Keyboard drivers at the HP site, download and install them. If you have installation issues, try to install them in Compatibility Mode by right-clicking the driver installer, selecting to install in compatibility with Windows7. You may also update the selected drivers through the Device Manager- right-click the driver, select to update- select the second option- Browse my computer for driver software. Now, you shall have two options, to browse to the recently downloaded driver or to browse to the Driver folder in your in your Windows7 drive, it should read C/Windows/System32/Drivers. In place of C, you may select the drive containing your Windows7. You may update all your problem drivers using the same method.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:27 AM to complete the reply
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:13 AM
  • Hi Vetletech,

first, please get all your updates, then try looking for the yellow exclamation marks indicating problem causing drivers in the Device Manager, you may reach it through the Control Panel. Look for the most recent Slate 500 Keyboard drivers at the HP site, download and install them. If you have installation issues, try to install them in Compatibility Mode by right-clicking the driver installer, selecting to install in compatibility with Windows7. You may also update the selected drivers through the Device Manager- right-click the driver, select to update- select the second option- Browse my computer for driver software. Now, you shall have two options, to browse to the recently downloaded driver or to browse to the Driver folder in your in your Windows7 drive, it should read C/Windows/System32/Drivers. In place of C, you may select the drive containing your Windows7. You may update all your problem drivers using the same method.

Irfan

Thank you for the response!

There's one problem though: the HP Slate 500 has no keyboard drivers because it as no keyboard. If I am wrong please correct me.

I'm currently getting my drivers from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4332586&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=4332585&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=405 3

If there is another driver location, please let me know!

Thanks!

Sunday, January 8, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Hi Vetletech,

my mistake !

The other source option, besides HP, is to rely on drivers supplied by Microsoft through the Windows update. You may get your updates  by going to the Windows update through the Control Panel-System and Security-Windows update-Check for updates. Its primarily the device manufacturer's job to provide the drivers, so I guess you'll have to make do with those provided either by HP or MS or both. You may also try to Refresh your system,  through the Control Panel-General- Refresh, you will loose all the applications installed by you, though. The General tab also contains adjustments for your Touch Keyboard, you may try those aswell.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:54 AM to complete the reply
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:26 AM
  • Hello Vetletech,

Please review the thread below that shows what drivers others used to install the HP Slate 500 to get it functioning.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/6814ef0a-7265-4a58-b078-fc341b473b50

Thanks,

Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Monday, January 9, 2012 3:20 AM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Hi Marilyn,

The thread talks about the graphics problem and how to install Windows 8. My problem has to do with the Home key on the top and the Keyboard Deployment key on the left side of the slate.

Thanks for your input!

Also: Irfanfare, everything seems to be up to date. I'm experimenting in the general tab now.

EDIT: I tried refreshing it with no luck
    • Edited by Vetletech Monday, January 9, 2012 7:14 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 6:25 AM
  • I've already installed the HP Quick Launch software

More significantly I suspect, is its server running?   E.g. in W7 in my TouchSmart I have QLBCTRL.exe running which handles those buttons.   I haven't even dared trying doing what you want.   FWIW if I was going to try it I would try finding the simplest possible ProcMon trace for representing the W7 implementation and then compare it with whatever you are getting from your changes in W8.   I suspect you would find quite a bit missing.   ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 9, 2012 7:35 AM
  • I'm starting to doubt whether its the Quicklaunch software because the Ctrl + Alt + Del button works completely fine... Maybe its just that windows 8 doesn't support these functions.

Does anyone currently have Windows 8 running on the HP Slate 500 with the buttons working correctly?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Why not try running your Quicklaunch software in compatibility mode with Windows7, after uninstalling it? You will also have a chance to see how things work without it.
    Irfan
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:59 AM
  • in W7 in my TouchSmart I have QLBCTRL.exe running which handles those buttons.   I haven't even dared trying doing what you want.  

I had a slow day yesterday, so did the download and install of the latest version for my TouchSmart.   It just installed straightforwardly, no compatibility workarounds needed, only a reboot required.  FWIW the top button (Tools) now works--launches Mobility Center.  I don't want to test the other two buttons because they don't do anything useful for me.   I really should try to figure out how to customize them to do something I would want but I could do that under W7 first.

---

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:45 PM
  • the Ctrl + Alt + Del button works completely fine

Sounds like you do have the program running then?   So now you could use ProcMon to find out what it is trying to do when you push those buttons.   Then if whatever it is doesn't work on W8 you could at least change it to be something else that does.   For example, my second button launches the TouchSmart suite of apps.   I would be highly dubious about that even being installed let alone working under W8 but I could try thinking of a more useful function for it, how to implement it and then testing that.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Hi Vetietech,

I was just pointing out in the link above that if you don't have the right drivers, the users in the thread were pointing to drivers that work on the HP Slate 500. The users in the link state that all is working on the Slate.

Sorry it didn't help.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Sorry, but what is ProcMon and where could I download it?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Sorry, but what is ProcMon and where could I download it?

Thanks!

Process Monitor v2.96
    Irfan
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:00 AM
  • And what I'm doing is looking to see what happens when I push the hardware keys to see what registry value to change to make it work properly?
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:41 AM
  • And what I'm doing is looking to see what happens when I push the hardware keys to see what registry value to change to make it work properly?

Essentially.  It will help to have a hypothesis to test; otherwise you will be swamped by data.   <eg>

E.g. is  qlbctrl.exe  running?   Then it would probably be sufficient to just filter on that Process Name.   E.g. either find an instance of it in the trace and do right-click Include or press Ctrl-L and set that filter explicitly.   Alternatively, you think you already know which registry key may be involved so look for instances of that and then what happens after that.   Etc.

In fact, I'm on W7 now so I could help by looking at it from that side...   So, what I did after filtering on the process name is turn off the Registry and File monitors and just get some context from the Process and Threads filter (e.g. using the buttons in the Toolbar.)    That showed two modules being loaded  BezlACTN.dll  and   applun64.exe.   Strangely it didn't show Mobility Center  mblctr.exe  being loaded.   So I guess that is done by some service that I will have to drop my filter for  QLBCTRL.exe  to see.   But at least now I have some context in the trace...   Oh, of course,  it was applun64.exe that started it.   So probably mblctr.exe is just a parameter for that somewhere in the registry for QLBCTRL.exe...  

That seems to be it.   Somehow this:

HKCU\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Schemes\Default\8554\AssignmentDisplay  mblctr.exe

results in this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\applun64.exe" MobilityCenter

starting it.

BTW even if your trace shows that you have QLBCTRL.exe I would expect that you would see a different button code involved.  So all of the above it just an example of the sort of thing what you might see in your trace.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:39 AM
  • Thanks for all your help!

Although it's been very helpful, it seems like W7 and W8 have some big differences... for one, the home button and keyboard button use the process HPMSGSVC.exe and are using HKCU/Software/Classes, HKCU/Software/Classes/hputils.CaslCommand, and HKCR/hputils.CaslCommand. I'm somewhat new to the registry stuff, so I don't know what this means.

Could I be missing the drivers that I need to make the buttons work? Probably the one with GLBCTRL.exe. I looked in the program files and searched for it and I couldn't find it, so it definitely isn't installed.

Also, in my registry, there aren't any keys after HKCU/Software/Hewlett-Packard/HP Quick Launch, also supporting my thought that the drivers aren't installed...

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:26 AM
  • Although it's been very helpful, it seems like W7 and W8 have some big differences... for one, the home button and keyboard button use the process HPMSGSVC.exe and are using HKCU/Software/Classes, HKCU/Software/Classes/hputils.CaslCommand, and HKCR/hputils.CaslCommand. I'm somewhat new to the registry stuff, so I don't know what this means.

Sounds like you are trying to jump into the registry too soon.   First find out which programs are loaded and launched.   As I indicated I'm not surprised that your Tablet would have a different package to install than mine.  And therefore perhaps even have different programs to run.   What exactly did you download and install to try to get this working?  

Could I be missing the drivers that I need to make the buttons work? Probably the one with GLBCTRL.exe. I looked in the program files and searched for it and I couldn't find it, so it definitely isn't installed.

First of all if that was not a typo you would have been looking for the wrong file so no surprise then that you wouldn't find it.   But secondly I have been trying to get you to find out whether you have a program running (not necessarily the particular one which I have given you as my example) which would be interpreting those button presses.   If not, then of course you would not have much activity to trace.

Here's another possibility for trying to find out what you have running.   Start Task Manager, e.g. press Alt-Space+Esc  and then in the Performance tab start Resource Monitor.   Then in the CPU tab do a search in Associated Handles for buttons.   When I do that I see  QLBCTRL.exe  featured prominently.   YMMV.   ;  )

Also, in my registry, there aren't any keys after HKCU/Software/Hewlett-Packard/HP Quick Launch, also supporting my thought that the drivers aren't installed...

I thought you said that you had a button which was working?  What programs is it launching?   Find out what registry keys that involves?

Alternatively, try uninstalling the QLB package then and see if that key still exists.  Then try reinstalling it, using compatibility mode if necessary, but taking better note about whether it is installing properly at all.   You could use ProcMon to find and supplement whatever diagnostics are produced by the Install procedure.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:00 AM
  • I downloaded the HP Quick Launch Software from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4332586&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=4332585&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4053#7828.

Yes, that was a typo. The service interpreting the home and keyboard buttons is called HPMSGSVC.exe, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything when they're pressed... a process called winlogon.exe is handling the Security button presses, and then everything after that is LogonUI.exe

Nothing shows up in Performance Monitor when I search for the button handlers

For some reason, my computer doesn't feel like uninstalling the QuickLaunch software... but I don't think that's it because I've already reinstalled it multiple times and refreshed my pc to try to solve the problem. It might just be that the HPMSGSVC.exe doesn't know what to do when the buttons are pushed or  the registry keys are wrong... I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:19 AM
  • I downloaded the HP Quick Launch Software from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4332586&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=4332585&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4053#7828.

I think that's probably the right one.   I had downloaded that earlier, thinking perhaps I could see it expanded before actually trying to install it--which I won't do since it is not explicitly designed for my machine.   So, I guess you're going to have to wait for someone else who is actually using both your machine and that software for more help--or wait for HP to say it is supported on W8.

Nothing shows up in Performance Monitor when I search for the button handlers

Doesn't have to be.   That could be just a quirk of the version that I have.  It was actually multiple *handles* for the registry key we both have in common.   I doubt you would have that key after just a standard W8 install.

For some reason, my computer doesn't feel like uninstalling the QuickLaunch software... but I don't think that's it because I've already reinstalled it multiple times

Have you done that using compatibility mode, e.g. for W7 compatibility?   I'm not sure how you could try to use compatibility mode on the uninstall procedure if you hadn't first installed it using compatibility mode but as a guess I would try using ProcMon to see the "command line" which is being invoked by the W8 Uninstall UI and then see if you can first try executing that manually, elevated (e.g. in Administrator: Command Prompt) and then if necessary, using compatibility mode.  Again, you could be tracing all procedures with ProcMon to supplement whatever diagnostics each gives you.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:27 PM
  • I finally got Quick Launch to uninstall. When I tested if HPMSGSVC.exe was used when I pressed the home button, I found out that it wasn't. So now we know that the HPMSGSVC.exe is interpreting the button presses but it just doesn't know what to do when the buttons are pushed.

Also now after the reinstall, the HPMSGSVC.exe doesn't seem to be doing anything when I push the home button.. I'll restart and try again

EDIT: Yes, it has been running. It does other things in ProcMon, but nothing in response to the buttons being pushed
    EDIT AGAIN: After restarting, it works just how it did before in ProcMon. But still no action after button is pressed
    • Edited by Vetletech Friday, January 13, 2012 4:35 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 3:36 AM
  • I actually got it to work by installing the HP Framework Software or something in the SwSetup\xHPSWF found on the driver disk. The buttons only work occasionally and the home button hides the windows in desktop view, as it is supposed to, instead of going to the Windows 8 Start Screen. Any ideas?
    Thanks! 
    • Marked as answer by Vetletech Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:27 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:26 AM
  • the home button hides the windows in desktop view, as it is supposed to, instead of going to the Windows 8 Start Screen. 

What is the implementation of the Home button?   E.g. it sounds like my keyboard Home button which by default just launches IE in Desktop mode.   But depending on what they are trying to do it might also end up launching IE Metro.   If you want to see the Windows 8 Start Screen instead you would need to emulate the pressing of  Ctrl-Esc  or a  Win-  key.  

So, now that it is fixed are you getting any better traces from ProcMon to help see how it works?   <eg>

Robert
    ---

Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:58 AM
  • Yes, the home button launches the Desktop. In metro, if I push the home button, it will bring me do the desktop with everything minimized

I've been trying to emulate the Windows Key press but I'm not sure how to do that...

In ProcMon, the home button accesses HKCU\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\Event\Bezel Button\8606\Action Name, which is a string containing "Minimize Windows. The keyboard button accesses HKCU\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\Event\Bezel Button\8607\Action Name, which is a string containing "Virtual Keyboard". Changing the value of the Action Name makes the button simply do nothing, most likely because I don't know what to change it to that will work.

And the home button only seems to not work in ProcMon and the Registry Editor from what I've tried so far. The keyboard button consistently hides the keyboard when it is already visible, but I haven't found any pattern for it  to make the keyboard appear.

Thanks for your help!

Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Yes, the home button launches the Desktop. In metro, if I push the home button, it will bring me do the desktop with everything minimized

Perhaps that was  Win-D?

In ProcMon, the home button accesses HKCU\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\Event\Bezel Button\8606\Action Name, which is a string containing "Minimize Windows.

So, is yours like mine after that--another program is started which provides an implementation of that functional description?  Then you should be able to see its Command line and get more clues about that implementation.

The keyboard button accesses HKCU\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\Event\Bezel Button\8607\Action Name, which is a string containing "Virtual Keyboard". Changing the value of the Action Name makes the button simply do nothing, most likely because I don't know what to change it to that will work.

Right.  You would be limited by whatever the repertoire of the launched program is.  

In the directory of the program being run see if there are any more files in there which would imply they allow you to customize your buttons in any way.   I read on the HP site something which implies that newer versions of the QLB package than the one I have do have such a facility.   Maybe they even have (gasp!) some documentation for it.   <eg>

And the home button only seems to not work in ProcMon and the Registry Editor from what I've tried so far. The keyboard button consistently hides the keyboard when it is already visible, but I haven't found any pattern for it to make the keyboard appear.

What happens to it then?   E.g. is it closed, hidden or moved to the background?   You could use ProcExp to try to get a handle on that.  If it is just always opened there as a background window after you push the button then that would explain your symptom.   Stupid but an explanation.

BTW which Keyboard is it?  Osk.exe?  Or something else?  If it isn't osk.exe start that anyway.  E.g. that is much more functional than the Touch Keyboard (aka Tablet PC Input Panel).  You could usefully put osk.exe  into your Startup too.   OTOH the Touch Keyboard can be easily brought into view by just touching on its icon when it appears.  Sometimes I have to avoid touching somewhere I normally would just to be sure that it won't pop up unwanted.   So, if it is the Touch Keyboard, I could imagine that hiding it could be the purpose of the button.   <eg>

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:18 PM
  • I'm not sure if mine launches a program to carry out the commands... I'm not sure how to see if it does either, because there's usually so much other stuff going on in ProcMon that it's hard to find the HPMSGSVC.exe, so I doubt I could find another service that starts as a result of the button being pushed.

I think I have the most recent drivers for the Quick Launch Buttons and there aren't any other .exe files in the Quick Launch program files.

When pushing the home button in ProcMon or Registry Editor, nothing happens. In another application, everything is minimized and the desktop shows.

The only handle for buttons in Resource Monitor is HPMSGSVC.exe

It is the touch keyboard. I like the touch keyboard better simply because it fits the UI design better, but the OSK is functional. But I think when i still had Windows 7, the keyboard button opened the OSK.

My main goal is to get the home button to work.

Thanks!

Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:37 AM
  • I'm not sure if mine launches a program to carry out the commands... I'm not sure how to see if it does either, because there's usually so much other stuff going on in ProcMon that it's hard to find the HPMSGSVC.exe, so I doubt I could find another service that starts as a result of the button being pushed. 

It's not too hard.  Start with just the Processes and Threads view.  Then if it is like mine you will see your  hpmsgsvc.exe  loading and starting something.

I think I have the most recent drivers for the Quick Launch Buttons and there aren't any other .exe files in the Quick Launch program files. 

It doesn't have to be an .exe.   It could be a .dll.    OTOH if it is written as a .NET app my experience is that ProcMon is then much less useful in trying to decipher what is going on.   In the case of .NET there might be a .config file you could exploit to activate diagnostics or traces.   ProcMon would show you a file access for that at least but probably only when your  hpmsgsvc.exe  program was being started and to capture that you might have to resort to ProcMon's Boot Logging option.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:08 AM
  • As far as my small amount of expertise in this area goes, I can't find any other process that the HPMSGSVC.exe is using.

There also isn't anything else in the Program Files that can be used to configure the buttons.

I think I'm just going to wait until the Windows 8 Beta comes out and see if the problem is fixed.

Thank you so much for all the help! I'll post on here if I ever do find another solution.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:25 PM