GDR CTP 17 still does not support system views? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it tue or am I missing something? Also I figured out that CTP 17 in many cases like for example using aliases for table names does not recognise field names claming that there is ambigous reference. And now there is no way to turn the error off by just suppressing error by code due to error codes are not displayed anymore.

Looking forward to your  comments on that.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• The lack of system view support is a bug. I believe you can work around it by putting [sys]. in front of the object.

The ambiguous reference errors is also a bug.

Not displaying error codes also sounds like a bug. I'll look into it with the team.

Thank you for the quick feedback!

Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:53 PM
  •  

To add to Duke comments. With regards to references in to master objects, you will have to manually add a reference to the master.dbschema file, same is true for objects in msdb. We are no longer loading these references by default.

The master.dbschema and msdb.dbschema files are installed as part of CTP17:

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VSTSDB\Extensions\SqlServer\2000\DBSchemas

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VSTSDB\Extensions\SqlServer\2005\DBSchemas 

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VSTSDB\Extensions\SqlServer\2008\DBSchemas

SQL Server 2008 also contains the Microsoft.SqlTypes.dbschema file for the SQL-CLR data types added in SQL Server 2008.

This week we changed the Database Reference UI to allow literal database references, so you do not have to substitute master.dbo.sysobjects or msdb.dbo.backupfile

In CTP17 the SQL Server 2008 msdb.dbschema is not correct, it is actually empty. I will try to post an updated version.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 11:18 PM
  • Gert Drapers - MSFT said:

To add to Duke comments. With regards to references in to master objects, you will have to manually add a reference to the master.dbschema file, same is true for objects in msdb. We are no longer loading these references by default.

The master.dbschema and msdb.dbschema files are installed as part of CTP17:

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VSTSDB\Extensions\SqlServer\2000\DBSchemas

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VSTSDB\Extensions\SqlServer\2005\DBSchemas 

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VSTSDB\Extensions\SqlServer\2008\DBSchemas

SQL Server 2008 also contains the Microsoft.SqlTypes.dbschema file for the SQL-CLR data types added in SQL Server 2008.

This week we changed the Database Reference UI to allow literal database references, so you do not have to substitute master.dbo.sysobjects or msdb.dbo.backupfile

In CTP17 the SQL Server 2008 msdb.dbschema is not correct, it is actually empty. I will try to post an updated version.

Adding reference to master objects resolved the design-time problem, but I can't deploy the project to the database server. It writes to me, that there are no some system views in target database.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:54 AM
  • The Release Candidate that was released Monday has the new UI Gert mentioned as well as updated versions of the dbschema files.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Duke Kamstra said:

The lack of system view support is a bug. I believe you can work around it by putting [sys]. in front of the object.

Seeing as I've got a project with around 4,000 references to the sys.messages, i'm sitting here watching a gigantic find and replace trawl. This bug would be a nice one to fix!
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:15 AM