Are there plans to bring back manual folder arrangement?

General discussion

• The decision to remove manual arrangement of folder icons in Windows 7 was met with a lot of criticism. Windows 8 boasts of a custom user experience, so returning the basic feature of choosing your own arrangement of folders is something that would fit the motif of the new OS. I understand how the auto arrangement feature is used and I think it is a great feature, but it's still useful in many folders (like photo albums) to manually arrange items. It's counter-intuitive to play with the auto-arrange feature for hours on end just to get the arrangement that you want - if it can even be achieved. I am also aware of the Windows 7 registry tweak to return the manual arrangement of icons, but that is also counter-intuitive, as it doesn't work with the Libraries, which was a major feature of the OS.

To be fair, the sliver for sliding folder icons between other icons is a bit ugly and XP-ish. Perhaps, if the feature were returned, it would be possible to also make the icons dynamically shift aside to allow room for moved folder icon. That'd certainly fit well with the new, sleeker Explorer.

In the end, though, my ultimate question is: Will we be able to manually arrange our folders once more in Windows 8?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:16 AM

All replies

• You didn't mention in your post if you've used the Windows 8 Developer Preview yet. I just tried manually rearranging files with Windows Explorer in the Developer Preview and it will not let you.

However, after changing the registry you can manually arrange files (except in Libraries).

Whether or not it will be the same at RTM...

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:16 AM
  • You didn't mention in your post if you've used the Windows 8 Developer Preview yet. I just tried manually rearranging files with Windows Explorer in the Developer Preview and it will not let you.

However, after changing the registry you can manually arrange files (except in Libraries).

Whether or not it will be the same at RTM...

I thought it was pretty self-explanatory that I had used the Windows 8 Developer Preview, as I'm posting in a Windows 8 discussion forum. :B Either way, yes I used it, and yes I noticed that there was no manual arrangement, as you correctly pointed out.

Also, I'm aware of the registry tweak. I spoke of it in my post. c:  I want to be able to use the Libraries, though, but if I can't arrange my folders, then I suppose it would be right back to disabling them like I had in Windows 7. 

Hopefully a Microsoft employee can clarify this matter, because it'd really be a necessary feature to return to the operating system. Windows 8 seems to be all about a custom user experience, but it can hardly claim to be that custom if it doesn't let you do something as simple as choosing how to arrange your folders.

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:27 AM
  • There is already a thread here about this particular issue. Send your feedback there: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/27314d0a-9c70-4b79-93e7-23fe60e7e374 to reinstate Auto arrange and Auto sort options for Windows 8 so they can be optionally turned off.
    • Edited by xpclient Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:51 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:35 AM