NEW API AND MAP CONTROL RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all-

I'm happy to announce that the latest VE map control went live last night! You'll notice we rolled up some of your suggestions and bug reports into this latest release, and added a couple of really nice new features. Here's a quick summary:

1. Custom tile layers: use MapCruncher or some other tool to create map tiles, and now you can easily add them to your mashup! I've got an example on the interactive SDK that adds a LIDAR image over the map; it took me 10 minutes in MapCruncher and 5 minutes with the APIs.

2. Polygons. We added a VEPolygon object that's a lot like the VEPolyline object except that it also supports polygon filling.

3. Address disabmiguation. We've added a VESearchResult object that returns when you do a Find() call for "where-only" style searches. You still get the default disambiguation box in the UI, but now you also get an array of returned results.

4. Set the map scale bar units with VEMap.SetScaleBarDistanceUnit().

5. Misc: you should notice a nice performance increase, especially with polylines/polygons. You will also note things like pushpins rendering on top of polylines, rather than under them.

6. SDK updates: new examples for the above-mentioned features, descriptions of what each event actually returns and how to use them, minor UI improvements, etc.

As always, I look forward to your feedback on the SDK and we always appreciate the suggestions, comments, etc on the API itself.

Happy Coding!
    Caleb

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 2:09 PM

All replies

• Heh. So I've made the annoucement, but the SDK itself isn't quite live yet...

Stay tuned: the CHM version is updated and live, and the interactive SDK is also now live. The MSDN version will go live hopefully later today.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 2:10 PM
  • Dear Caleb T,

Where are the RedCircleXX.gif ? Is changed?
    Today I cant found there in path: http://local.live.com/i/pins/RedCircleXX.gif

Thanks

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 4:56 PM
  • Can you post a link to the example. I don't see it.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:55 PM
  • The interactive SDK is now live with the latest examples.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:42 PM
  • Send my thanks to the VE team Caleb, getting those fixes out for polylines has been a life saver. Well maybe a little too dramatic but thanks all the same.
    Checkout a working set of polylines:
    http://www.soulsolutions.com.au/Blog/tabid/73/EntryID/28/Default.aspx
    Or as polygons if you prefer:
    http://www.soulsolutions.com.au/Blog/tabid/73/EntryID/29/Default.aspx
    (only static images)
    John.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 12:13 AM
  • Caleb,

map.GetY();map.GetX();  are needed as in the original version.  Is it possible to add this on your latest version?

thanks.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:04 PM
  • Caleb,

It would be helpful to have a mousedown callback VEPushpin.OnMouseDownCallback in addition to VEPushpin.OnMouseOverCallback.

And to have the id returned for both mouseover and mousedown.

thanks.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:27 PM