none
Protecting SQL server schema RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    When I ship the SQL Server express database with my application anyone can see the schema ,tables,views, stored Procedures etc by accessing the SQL Server database instance using the Visual tool. How can I protect my SQL server database so that no user can see the schema ,tables,views,SP etc?
    • Moved by Bob Beauchemin Friday, May 21, 2010 2:40 PM Moved to a more relevent forum (From:.NET Framework inside SQL Server)
    Friday, May 21, 2010 10:29 AM

Answers

• So you protect it with the license to your app. But it's a legal protection, not a physical protection. You can make it difficult for casual customers by encrypting the stored procedures. That will keep out the snoopy people, but not the pro's.
    Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There is no assured way to protect the database, because a DBA always can access everything in the database and can change all security and other setting or logon trigger etc. you may added.

Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    Friday, May 21, 2010 11:07 AM
  • So you protect it with the license to your app. But it's a legal protection, not a physical protection. You can make it difficult for casual customers by encrypting the stored procedures. That will keep out the snoopy people, but not the pro's.
    Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Deleted
    Friday, May 21, 2010 5:29 PM