play/pause/stop events in MFT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am building a custom MFT to accept WMV/WMA. My MFT need to know when the the application applies pause/play/stop.

Is it possible to receive play/pause/stop events in my MFT.

Regards

Sam

Monday, February 4, 2008 10:54 AM

Answers

• Not exactly.  For example, a pause will look to your MFT more or less just like the action was suspended.

But you have a couple options here, depending on exactly what you need.

1. You can sort of infer that a stop happened because your MFT will be flushed.  But note that flushes can happen in other situations too (like a seek)
    2. If you really need to know all these control events, you can write your own Media Source that wraps the MF ASF Media Source and sends custom events downstream.  MF propagates these events downstream, so your MFT will be able to see them.
    3. Why do you need play/pause/stop events at the MFT?   Typically MFTs can get away with being pretty dumb about transport control

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:17 AM

All replies

• Not exactly.  For example, a pause will look to your MFT more or less just like the action was suspended.

But you have a couple options here, depending on exactly what you need.

1. You can sort of infer that a stop happened because your MFT will be flushed.  But note that flushes can happen in other situations too (like a seek)
    2. If you really need to know all these control events, you can write your own Media Source that wraps the MF ASF Media Source and sends custom events downstream.  MF propagates these events downstream, so your MFT will be able to see them.
    3. Why do you need play/pause/stop events at the MFT?   Typically MFTs can get away with being pretty dumb about transport control

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:17 AM
  • Thanks for the response. I think 2nd point is a feasible solution.

I am porting a transform direct show filter which redirects encoded audio/video data and control information(play/pause/stop/volume) from one system to another. I need to port this DirectShow filter to a Media Foundation component. I am trying to find where my component will best fit in MF. Is it possible to handle controls(play/pause/stop) and audio/video data in a single component in MF framework.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 6:54 AM
  • Hi Sammat,

Did you get any solution for getting a media control events inside MFT? Even I have a similar use case. Can you please help me if you had find a way. I have overridden "ProcessEvent", but call to ProcessEvent is not at all happening.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:30 AM