Sorting / Jumping To SQL Data On Webpage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have a simple dump of a SQL table to a webpage. It has been requested that I add a special function that will let the users select a letter (a-z) to jump to that section on the webpage. Basically, it will have to key on the first letter of the customer name entry.

Any suggestions on how to get started?

Thanks!
    Brian

Monday, August 8, 2011 7:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes. Tell them they'll have to wait. Then, purchase a couple of good books on ASP.NET. Work through them, doing all of the exercises. Learn something about the language that you are attempting to use. Then approach the project again.

This is NOT a tutorial forum. This format is suited to answering specific questions, not writing you the pseudocode to lay out your next project, which is basically what you are requesting. If you cannot handle the requirements of the job for these requests you're getting, tell the requestors that, or else turn the job over to someone who can.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 8, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Yes. Tell them they'll have to wait. Then, purchase a couple of good books on ASP.NET. Work through them, doing all of the exercises. Learn something about the language that you are attempting to use. Then approach the project again.

This is NOT a tutorial forum. This format is suited to answering specific questions, not writing you the pseudocode to lay out your next project, which is basically what you are requesting. If you cannot handle the requirements of the job for these requests you're getting, tell the requestors that, or else turn the job over to someone who can.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

I am just looking to get started...not for anyone to write code for me or do it all for me...just a nudge in the right direction or some tips...ny job is not requiring these things of me with no training provided to save money...having to learn on the fly...thought I could get some friendly help in the forums...I will review the forum rules next time.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:42 PM
  • If you are looking to learn asp.net, try the resources at http://www.asp.net/web-pages .  You need to have the basics under your belt before you can ask a specific question, and if that question relates to asp.net (even if you are using EW), the best place is the asp.net forum http://www.asp.net/web-pages 

You can also play with some examples of the database basics provided by one of the frequent posters here, at http://www.homepagedoctor.com/Tutorials.aspx

• Marked as answer by Brian Wolters Monday, August 8, 2011 8:04 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Thanks...with economy and job market the way it is, they are forcing this Systems Administrator into wearing a Software Developer hat now and with little time and no training provided...time to load up my Kindle...
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:04 PM
  • having to learn on the fly...

Brian, programming is not an area you just pick up "on the fly" as you write the program. Seriously. I wasn't kidding about what you were asking for. Creating the basic algorithm to accomplish a task is a bedrock fundamental part of any programmer's job, no matter the language. It is often done using what is called pseudocode, statements which describe the steps to be taken, which are then fleshed out with the actual code required to do the job (and often are left in as comments to the code).

For example, for this case

1. capture keystroke in customer name field
    2. is character the first character of an existing customer name?
      no: exit routine with "No such customer" message
      yes: look up hash anchor associated with character

...etc. (Note: purely for example)

Or, you could make it simple by providing a list of letters at the top of the page, and they could just click the desired letter to jump to the associated hash anchor. Or... you get the idea.

The point is, there are dozens of ways to accomplish a given task. It is your job as programmer to decide which will work best for you, in the exact circumstances pertaining in your program. It is your job to formulate the basic approach to solving a problem, and is not something you should be expecting others to do for you.

And formulating that approach, and then fleshing it out with actual, syntactically correct, logic-error-free code is something that you have to do, and that requires knowledge to do. Not "what-I-can-pick-up-on-the-fly," and not bits and pieces spoon fed you in forums, even if this was the right forum, which it is not (see forums.asp.net; Warning, they will expect you to have done your homework).

Look, Brian, there's an old saying in programming (and other fields) that applies here: fast, cheap, good—pick any two. If they want it cheap, and good, then they've got to grant you the time to learn. If they want it fast and good, hire a consultant to come in and write it. If they want it fast and cheap, and don't mind it being crap, go right ahead and work from a foundation of no knowledge. Up to you, or your manager.

Brian, this stuff is learnable. Scott Mitchell and others have written excellent books on the subject. Microsoft has produced a ton of free video tutorials. The Web abounds with free training for ASP.NET. You can learn it, given a little time. You cannot do so "on-the-fly." That road leads to frustration and disappointment, both for you and your users. And your manager.

cheers,
    scott

Monday, August 8, 2011 8:11 PM
  • A dump. Whatever that is.

But if you use for example, a Gridview to bring the data up, you can sort any column. So you could sort by customer name. That's a first easy thing, and then the user can scroll down to wherever they want pretty fast.

It's not what you asked for, but unless there is a very large amount of data, it is pretty fast and simple

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Sorry...dump was too easy a word...it is just SQLDataSource on a ASPX page that the users view to see customer info (name, address, phone number, etc)...no other frills...they can, for sure, press F3 and start typing the name of customer to search but they wanted to be able to jump to a section by clicking on a letter name...as suggested earlier in this thread, I can try to anchor the letters in a hyperlink but trying to learn how to do this with the resulted SQL data that is, well, "dumped" into the ASPX file...

Monday, August 8, 2011 8:28 PM