none
List Box Copy/Paste RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently working on a project that runs a loop and spits out the results into a list box. My issue is being able to then copy the results once I'm done. The number of loops varies each time so I can't put a set value for how many results there will be. I looked at another thread that I can't like because my account isn't verified (? idk), and while I can copy individual items from the list box, doing so over and over again gets rather tedious. Is there a way I can copy all items from a list box at once? Thanks in advance!
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:58 PM

Answers

• Hi

By Copy, do you just want the items in the ListBox placed into the ClipBoard ready for pasting?

If so, then this would do it for ListBox1.

Clipboard.SetText(String.Join(vbNewLine, ListBox1.Items.Cast(Of String).ToArray))

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:04 PM

All replies

• Hi

By Copy, do you just want the items in the ListBox placed into the ClipBoard ready for pasting?

If so, then this would do it for ListBox1.

Clipboard.SetText(String.Join(vbNewLine, ListBox1.Items.Cast(Of String).ToArray))

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:04 PM
  • Hi

System.Text.StringBuilder copy_buffer = new System.Text.StringBuilder(); foreach (object item in ListBox1.SelectedItems) copy_buffer.AppendLine(item.ToString()); if (copy_buffer.Length > 0) Clipboard.SetText(copy_buffer.ToString());

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem.

Best Regards.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:52 PM
  • Hello,

Both replies prior to mine should provide you with enough to perform what you are after. One does all while the other does selected.

In the case of Abdulhakim Mohamed elrhum code sample I would lean towards what Les suggested

Each item on it's own line

Dim copyThisToTheClipboard = String.Join(
        Environment.NewLine, ListBox1.SelectedItems.Cast(Of String).ToArray())

Or perhaps comma delimited

Dim copyThisToTheClipboard = String.Join(
        ",", ListBox1.SelectedItems.Cast(Of String).ToArray())

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Proposed as answer by Suman Zakka Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:14 AM
  • Hi

Copy/Paste selected item.

public partial class Form1 : Form
        {
            public Form1()
            {
                InitializeComponent();
            }
            private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                int x, y, t;
                string m_item;
                t = 0;
                x = 2;
                for (y = 0; y < 10; ++y)
                {
                    t = x * y;
                    m_item = x.ToString() + "*" + y.ToString() +       "="+t.ToString();
                    listBox1.Items.Add(m_item.ToString());
                }
            }
            private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                System.Text.StringBuilder copy_buffer = new System.Text.StringBuilder();
                foreach (object item in listBox1.SelectedItems)
                    copy_buffer.AppendLine(item.ToString());
                if (copy_buffer.Length > 0)
                    Clipboard.SetText(copy_buffer.ToString());
                this.textBox1.Text=Clipboard.GetText();
            }
        }

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:58 AM
  • Thank you everyone! My apologies for my late response, I got a bit caught up in other things. I'm a bit confused by a couple of these answers, though that may just be because I'm rather new to coding in general. I see that some of the options you guys have provided involve arrays... is that something I can copy from the list box and then paste in, say, a forum similar to this? The goal is to be able to share the results with others outside of the program. I'd prefer to have all items copy at once (rather than just the one selected) as there are times when it will need to loop many times, and copy/pasting each one would get rather tedious. I'm not entirely sure if this is possible or if I can do it with my level of skill. Thank you all for your time!
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:08 AM
  • Hi

Of the two possibilities - 1. copy all selected items, 2. copy ALL items regardless of selected or not, then my offering uses option 2 where ALL items are copied.

Once copied, then you can paste anywhere you would normally paste to - textnoxes, NotePad, WorfPad, Word, Excel, email body, etc etc too many to list.

Using the Clipboard means that it is globally available to paste (Ctr-V) etc.

As a test, you can use the code line I posted (say in a Button click ebent handler) so that click the Button, then Paste (or Ctl_V) in an empty NotePad window will reveal what you copied.

Karen showed a couple of other variations.

• Edited by leshay Thursday, February 14, 2019 4:40 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 4:36 PM
  • Ah sorry! I misunderstood your original comment, but I got it now. Tried this and it worked perfectly! Thank you very much!
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:16 PM