Windows Developer preview wont boot.

Question

• Im running the Windows 8 dev preview in a dual boot with windows 7.
    This has been working fine since this morning when Windows 8 hung during shut down. I was forced to turn off using the power button, but when it restarted it hung on the initial Windows developer preview screen that show before the boot screen to choose between windows 7 and 8.
    After restarting it several times, now it hangs on 'preparing automatic repair'.
    I left it for about an hour but it still hung there.
    So then i restarted holding F8, but again it hung, this time saying 'preparing options'.

Now it has gone back to saying 'preparing automatic repair'.

I've tried booting to the install DVD, but for some reason it wont list the DVD drive in the boot menu, or display the 'press any key to boot from disk' dialog.

Other information:
    Windows 8 is installed on a separate partition on a 500gb hard drive.
    Its been running without problems since it was released
    It is the 64bit version without developer tools.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix? Even if it is just a way to boot into windows 7....

Monday, October 24, 2011 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hey SWJ345,

Try entering your BIOS during the computer startup process to check to make sure that your DVD drive is still listed in the bootable devices list. If it is, check to make sure that the DVD drive is listed higher in the priority of boot than your hard drives. Then save those settings and restart your computer with the installation disk in the drive. You should then see the "Please press a key to boot from..." message.

Let us know if you do see your DVD drive listed in the boot devices and if you are able to boot into the disk by setting it at a higher priority in the boot devices list.

Steven
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:44 AM