How to schedule nightly build to to automate build and run the Unit test scripts in Visual Studio(2012, 2013) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are trying to schedule the nightly build to build and run the test scripts automatically in VSTS, but are unable to complete the task.

We followed the below steps in the VSTS2012

1. Opened VSTS2012

2. Opened Team Explorer

3. Clicked on New Build Definition

4. In General Tab - Selected 'Enabled' option

5. In Trigger Tab - Selected 'Schedule - build every week on following days'

6. Checked - In - Build even if nothing has changed since the previous build

7. In Workspace tab - Given paths' for Source Control and Build Agent.

8. In Build Defaults tab - Selected Build Controller.

9. In Process tab - Selected Default Template (TfvcTemplate.12.Xaml)

In this tab we are unable to provide all the inputs and are not able to understand what inputs are exactly need to be given, there are five parameters

1. TF Version Control

2. Build

3. Public Symbols

4. Advanced

5. Failed to load the following parameters:

1. Automated Tests

2. Advanced

3. Advanced

4. Agent settings

5. Metadata

We are not able to provide any path or input in to these and are unaware of these parameters.

Please help in solving this issue. Also, please let me know if any further information is required.

Regards,

Santhoshi

Santhoshi

Monday, May 9, 2016 6:28 AM

Answers

• Hi santhoshisukasi,

As far as I know, we can schedule nightly build in TFS but it is not supported in Visual Studio at present.

If you want to implement this requirement in Visual Studio, I suggest you submit your requirement to Visual Studio User Voice and then share your feedback link here. It can let other communities who has the same requirement to vote and add comments for your feedback. If there has enough votes for this requirement, I think the Visual Studio product team will consider this requirement for Visual Studio.

But before this requirement accepted, I recommend you implement it through TFS. The detailed steps about how to implement, I think the TFS experts had provided in your previous thread. If any problem when operate in TFS, please post your problem in TFS forum for a better help.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5fee374b-0409-4a78-aff7-9cf04c5ab321/how-to-schedule-and-run-unit-tests-in-visual-studio-nightly-run?forum=tfsbuild#5fee374b-0409-4a78-aff7-9cf04c5ab321

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Weiwei Cai Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Weiwei Cai Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:43 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:01 AM