How do I get tswebpartcollection.wsp to show up in Central Admin? RRS feed

• Question

• Our new Dev manager want's to use extended features of TFS which is already installed in an existing SP 2010 farm.  One of our Dev's added TFS to this existing farm a ways back, and although I'm usually in charge of all software configs and installation. I wasn't part of this deployment.

Our devs have been using TFS for code check in, check out, bug tracking, and probably a couple of other things, successfully to this date.

The dev manager is trying to use a feature that tells him tswebpartcollection.wsp needs to be installed.

After some research, I thin I have a good basic understanding of how to normally install this.

1. Go to the Sharepoint Central Admiistration / System Settings.

2. Under Farm Management select Manage Farm Solutions

3. You should see "tswebpartcollection.wsp". The status SHOULD be deployed. If not click on "tswebpartcollection.wsp" link and select 'Deploy Solution'.

But, when I go there in Central Admin, it's not listed.  I reran the setup.exe from the TFS x64 installation and all four components say they're already installed, including "Extensions" which is where I "think" this would be.

I'm very nervous about touching this since I'm not familiar with it completely.  I'm found these informative links which give me the basics about some of this but I'm not finding what i need.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd236907.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee462861.aspx#TFSExtensionsHow do I find this cab .wsp extension and install it in to SP2010 so i can then deploy the solution from central admin?

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Statistic, 

Thanks for your reply.

In SharePoint Central Administration>>Application Management>>Manage Web Application Features, all the TFS items are Active? If yes, but the “tswebpartcolection.wsp” still does not show up in the list of deployable objects in Central Administration, I think you need reinstall the Extension.   

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:48 AM
  • Hi Statistic, 

Thanks for your reply.

Since you are just beginning to configure and use SharePoint 2010 with TFS 2010, so I think you can detach it, it will not affect the TFS Server.

If you want to perform a backup, you can backup your SharePoint database.   

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:07 AM

All replies

• Install the 'Extensions for SharePoint products' on all SharePoint web front ends from TFS installation media.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Chandra

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Wow thanks for replying... i'm swimming in TFS docs.  When I re-execute the TFS from the installation media, it shows all 4 items already checked and won't let me click update.  I obviously don't want to remove it then install it.  Nervous!
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:48 PM
  • I ran the best practices analyzer.  It says there are no problems with the extensions.

However, when trying to install a new project/site using VSS this exception is thrown.

Exception Message: Server was unable to process request. ---> The following SharePoint Feature cannot be activated: TswaWebParts

and when i go to central admin, system settings, farm solutions, tswawebparts isn't listed as a deployed solution.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Here is a problem I've found.  TFS is running on the same server as SP.  When I'm in the documentation at the Microsoft site related to these extension, in the installation area, the beginning text says this.

"If your SharePoint Products server is not on the server that is
    running Visual Studio Team Foundation Server, you have a remote portal.
    If you have a remote portal, you must install Team Foundation
    Server Extensions for Windows SharePoint Services on the remote portal."

But my SP products server is on the same server as TFS.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:40 PM
  • Hi Statistic, 

Thanks for your post.

If the “tswebpartcolection.wsp” is not deployed, click on “tswebpartcolection.wsp” link and select Deploy Solution to deploy it. Then goto Application Management tab>>click on Manage “Web application features”, activate any TFS items that are not active. Please refer to the answers in this similar post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfssetup/thread/9026f04a-3f48-4a5c-8863-42ca75b30525/        

And I suggest you install the “Extensions for SharePoint Products and…” on your TFS Server, even if TFS and SharePoint are installed on the same Server. Please refer to the discussions in this similar post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfssetup/thread/6816bc20-7c0b-46d4-9e53-444d438f5226.

John Qiao [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by John QiaoModerator Monday, August 13, 2012 5:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Statistic Monday, August 13, 2012 4:15 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:16 AM
  • That's what I'm trying to tell you guys.  The “Extensions for SharePoint Products and…” is already deployed on the server, but the “tswebpartcolection.wsp” does not show up in the list of deployable objects in central Admin.  I'm afraid to uninstall and reinstall the extensions for fear of affecting their production semi-working TFS system.
    Monday, August 13, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Hi Statistic, 

Thanks for your reply.

In SharePoint Central Administration>>Application Management>>Manage Web Application Features, all the TFS items are Active? If yes, but the “tswebpartcolection.wsp” still does not show up in the list of deployable objects in Central Administration, I think you need reinstall the Extension.   

John Qiao [MSFT]

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:48 AM
  • Is there any danger of losing any configurations or doing anything to the TFS database?  I was thinking of Detaching it first.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Hi Statistic, 

Thanks for your reply.

Since you are just beginning to configure and use SharePoint 2010 with TFS 2010, so I think you can detach it, it will not affect the TFS Server.

If you want to perform a backup, you can backup your SharePoint database.   

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:07 AM