none
Macros work slowly on Excel 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been developing a software which is based on several macros. I used to work with Excel 2003, and I recently upgraded to Excel 2013 (and also moved to a newer faster machine).

For some unexplainable reason, it's very difficult to run the macros on the new environment. Quite often (though not always) they work incredibly slowly. For example, I use a dialog box for getting an input file, and sometimes I just get a blank dialog box that takes several minutes before displaying the folder's contents. Also, I run a macro that performs a great deal of computations, after which the contents at the top part of the Excel screen (menus and toolbars) simply disappear leaving a dysfunctional grey area...

I have seen some old complaints about the performance of Excel 2013, so I'm inclined to believe that this is not entirely my fault.

I'm looking for any information or suggestions that might help - possible ways to fix Excel, VBA functions that work better (or should be avoided) in Excel 2013, other programs that may interfere with the operation of the macros, anything.

Thanks in advance,

Chen

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hello Chen,

Do you have antivirus software on the problematic machine installed?

Did you have a chance to check out a common performance counters using the Windows' Task Manager?

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:58 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

Thank you for your response.

1) I use Microsoft security essentials.

2) Can you specify what indicators I should look for in the task manager performance monitor?

Thanks,

Chen

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:04 PM
  • Hi Chen,

I'm not sure this issue is related to Excel 2013 or not.

To determine what the issue is, I would suggest using the macro in another clean machine to check the issue.

Also, you could upload a simple sample here, we will give a try.

If the issue doesn't happen in the new clean machine, suppose the issue is more related to operating system.

Regards,

George

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:01 AM
  • Hi George,

I'll try that on another machine.

Thanks!

Chen

Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:46 PM
  • Update:

I cleaned the machine and reinstalled everything, and I also tested the macro on another machine with Excel 2013. Unfortunately, the problems remained. I downgraded to Excel 2010 and now everything works smoothly.

This is very frustrating. Does anyone know what could have been changed in Excel 2013 (or perhaps in VBA) to cause it to work slowly so often?

Chen

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:40 AM
  • Hi Chen,

What is the build number of Excel 2010 now?

What was the build number of Excel 2010 before?

what did you do in the macro?

Would you mind sharing the code here?

Regards,

George

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:47 AM
  • Hi George,

I'm not use about the build number. My Excel 2013 account says: 15.0.4641.1000, and the control panel says 15.0.4569.1506.

The 2010 version is 14.0.7015.1000.

Here is a link to the file containing the macro: https://chengafni.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/child-phonology-analyzer-4-7b.xls

It's a fairly complex system. Basically the main sheet contains several buttons, each running a different macro. Here is a link to an excel file that serves as a data file for the macro named 'Queries': https://chengafni.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/cpa-example_bi_proc.xls.

When you click on 'Queries' it prompts a dialog box for opening a file, unless there is already an opened excel file (other than the current one), in which case a userform is shown to allow you to choose between opening a closed file or reactivating an already opened file.

These operations are quite simple and are not supposed to consume much resources. My problem is that quite often the Excel 2013 can linger on them for even more than a minute - the dialog box/userform remain blank for some time, and even after showing some content they do not become responsive immediately. The fact that it doesn't happen every time is almost as annoying as the problem itself - so it's likely that you don't see any problem when you try it once or more...

Anyway, I appreciate your willingness to help. I hope you will find some useful advice for me.

Thanks,

Chen

Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:46 PM