VS2013 (SL Client) screen designer very slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’ve just converted my SL LightSwitch projects from VS2012 to VS2013 Update 2 (ver 12.0.30501).

And, screen designer is very slow.

On complicated or no complicated screen, it will take 30 – 45 seconds to accept my changes to control’s name.

Is it what I should expect?

Regards
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Due to the separate *.lsml model files used for both screens and entities in VS2013, you can see performance improvements.  

For this issue, it's recommended to learn what is new in LightSwitch in Visual Studio 2013 Preview:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2013/06/27/announcing-lightswitch-in-visual-studio-2013-preview.aspx

Moreover, you could also learn the procedure of upgrading LightSwitch projects to VS 2013 here.

Regards

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Lcey Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Wit987 Friday, June 27, 2014 8:21 PM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

Problem is that I see very small  improvement in speed.

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:33 PM
  • I have the same problem with VS 2103 Update 2 + LS 4.5 projects.

On a moderately complex screen/entity. I can wait for the one to two minutes returning from editing a query or loading the screen. If I restart Visual Studio it gets better but eventually degrades.

I am using ~25% CPU with little to no disk usage during these transitions. My development machine is using 5GB of 16Gb memory so there are no memory starving issues. I have replaced my drives with multiple raid 0 SSD drives and this made a significant difference to Visual Studio as a whole but LightSwitch is still a dog.

For me this is starting to affect my productivity!!!

Monday, June 16, 2014 6:53 PM
  • Hi Ian,

Thanks for post, I was warring that only I have this issue.

Interesting that in my situation CPU stay around 20%.

LS people,any idea what is it going on?

Regards

• Edited by Wit987 Monday, June 16, 2014 7:48 PM
    Monday, June 16, 2014 7:47 PM
  • Interesting that in my situation CPU stay around 20%.

You can try/Log (devenv.exe), it logs all activity to the log file for troubleshooting. This file appears after you've called devenv /log at least once.     

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 20, 2014 5:44 AM
  • Hi Angie,

The following steps in VS2013 LS Log file takes the most time:

1) Begin/End Package Load [LightSwitch Version Broker package  - Over 17 mins

a) Warning message: Performance warning: String load failed. Pkg:{AC5E9513-8EDF-4966-91CE-31E5569D02CC} (LightSwitch Version Broker package) LANG:0409 ID:105

2) Begin/End package Load [NuGet Package]  - Over 13 mins

a) no warning message

Any suggestion

Regards

Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:08 PM
  • Bump.

I've noticed that I get terrible slow downs in the designer when there are multiple queries on the screen.  I first tried a  screen with just one query and it was fine.  The "Edit Query" screen opened quickly and the "Back to SomeScreen" button returned to the designer quickly.  Then I tried a screen with 20 queries (though I was only showing one in a data grid) and while the "Edit Query" screen came up quickly, it took 30-45 seconds for it to return to the designer after clicking "Back to SomeScreen".  It's pretty bad.
    Friday, October 17, 2014 1:55 AM