Error when trying to remove blob: There is currently a lease on the blob and no lease ID was specified in the request. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having this error when I try to remove a blob that was used for a VM in the pass, the VM was already removed and there's nothing using that blob nor even the storage account wh ere the blob is stored.

There is currently a lease on the blob and no lease ID was specified in the request. RequestId:0a441667-0001-0044-7861-bc17ef000000 Time:2014-12-18T15:53:04.5315752Z

I'm trying to delete the blob from the current web interface, and I haven't found a way to specify a lease ID or check what lease could it has.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi  jruiz,

When you delete a Virtual Machine on the Management Portal, the "Disk" resource used to mount the Virtual Machines VHD is kept.The "Disk" resource is responsible for mounting the blob for the VHD file, so it can be attached to virtual machines as an OS Disk or Data Disk. It will continue to hold a lease on the blob for as long as it exists.

So you need to delete the "Disk" resource to break the lease on the blob.

Please refer to the link about how to delete disk resource to break lease on the blob.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mast/archive/2013/02/05/iaas-unable-to-delete-vhd-there-is-currently-a-lease-on-the-blob.aspx

Best Regards,

Kevin Shen.

• Proposed as answer by Shirisha Paderu Friday, December 19, 2014 10:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Manu Rekhar Sunday, December 21, 2014 4:16 AM
    Friday, December 19, 2014 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I am currently researching to gather more information with regards to your request.

I shall revert back to you with an update at the earliest.

Sincerely appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:04 PM
  • Hi  jruiz,

When you delete a Virtual Machine on the Management Portal, the "Disk" resource used to mount the Virtual Machines VHD is kept.The "Disk" resource is responsible for mounting the blob for the VHD file, so it can be attached to virtual machines as an OS Disk or Data Disk. It will continue to hold a lease on the blob for as long as it exists.

So you need to delete the "Disk" resource to break the lease on the blob.

Please refer to the link about how to delete disk resource to break lease on the blob.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mast/archive/2013/02/05/iaas-unable-to-delete-vhd-there-is-currently-a-lease-on-the-blob.aspx

Best Regards,

Kevin Shen.

• Proposed as answer by Shirisha Paderu Friday, December 19, 2014 10:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Manu Rekhar Sunday, December 21, 2014 4:16 AM
    Friday, December 19, 2014 6:34 AM