none
Save As & Open Dialog Window for some documents hangs when custom VSTO plugin is installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a VSTO application which uploads a word document to Document Management Server. The problem is not with this plugin, but after the plugin is installed, for certain documents when user makes some modification to the document and clicks on File -> Save As or File ->Open, the Save As/Open Dialog window, does  not show up and the Word application will be hung (spinning) as it should do if the Save As dialog window would have been shown. The only option is then to kill the WinWord process from Task Manager. When I kill the WinWord process from task manager, I see the Save As Dialog window appear for a split second before the WinWord Process shuts down.

If I uninstall the VSTO application, everything works fine.

Details on the application:

• Target Framework: .NET Framework 4
    • Platform Target: x86
    • OS (Developer and End User): Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
    • Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Version: 14.0.6129.5000 (32-bit)

Help!!

Regards,

Yogesh 

Friday, January 30, 2015 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Carl,

I was able to resolve this issue. The problem is with the Warmup registry entry. While it was used correctly, it is causing the specified problem. Once I removed the Warmup key from the installer project, the Save As dialog window worked normally for the known problematic document.I think it may be a bug with the framework but for now the workaround I have used is to remove the Warmup key.

Regards,

Yogesh

Monday, February 9, 2015 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Yogesh,

Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created empty add-in project? It looks like the issue comes from your code.

Saturday, January 31, 2015 2:10 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have tried an empty add-in project as well. Added a label to the ribbon and displayed a static text. I am able to reproduce the issue with this add-in as well. The issue is only reproducable if I deploy the add-in using a setup and deployment project. While building the project, Visual Studio installs the add-in by default. If I open the problematic documents with the "developement" version of the add-in installed, it seems to be working fine.

Regards,

Yogesh

Monday, February 2, 2015 1:00 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have tried an empty add-in project as well. Added a label to the ribbon and displayed a static text. I am able to reproduce the issue with this add-in as well. The issue is only reproducable if I deploy the add-in using a setup and deployment project. While building the project, Visual Studio installs the add-in by default. If I open the problematic documents with the "developement" version of the add-in installed, it seems to be working fine.

Regards,

Yogesh

Hello,

>>Yes I have tried an empty add-in project as well. Added a label to the ribbon and displayed a static text. I am able to reproduce the issue with this add-in as well. The issue is only reproducable if I deploy the add-in using a setup and deployment project.

Since it could be reproduced if you deploy any add-in with a setup project, it seems this issue may be related to the your environment.

It will be helpful if you could share the following information with us.

1. The configuration about that setup project and your add-in.
    2. Whether your user account has admin privilege or not.

To narrow down this issue, you could consider installing that add-in with setup project in a clean machine.

If it could reproduce this issue, then we could focus on that setup project instead.

If not, then we'd better focus on your environment to narrow down this issue.

Regards,

Carl

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:55 AM
  • Hi Carl,
    I have done the following on the Setup and Deployment project.
    1. Created a new Visual Studio Installer -> Setup project.
    2. Added the ribbon project's Primary Output
    3. Added the ribbon project's generated manifest and .vsto file to the Setup Project.
    4. Default location property of the Application folder is set to C:\XL_Apps\[Manufacturer]\[ProductName]. (I have tried ProgramFiles as well)
    5. Created the following registry key under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER]-[Software]-[Microsoft]-[Office]-[Word]-[Addin]-[Comany.Plugin]

Description "Plugin"
    FriendlyName "Plugin"
    LoadBehavior 3
    Manifest "file:///C:/XL_Apps/Company/Connector for MS Office/Word2010Addin.vsto|vstolocal"
    Warmup 1

My account does have admin priviledges. The plugin does not cause any problems with most of the documents, it has issues with certain documents only.

Regards,

Thursday, February 5, 2015 10:05 AM
  • Hello,

>>The plugin does not cause any problems with most of the documents, it has issues with certain documents only.

Since only certain documents have this issue, it seems that this issue is related to these documents.

To make sure this issue is not related to deployment, you could deploy that add-in with ClickOnce to see whether it could be reproduced.

If it has the same issue, then we need to focus on these documents. You could provide the sample document and code which could reproduce this issue with us, we will test it at ourside.

Regards,

Carl

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 6, 2015 9:00 AM
  • Hi Carl,

I was able to resolve this issue. The problem is with the Warmup registry entry. While it was used correctly, it is causing the specified problem. Once I removed the Warmup key from the installer project, the Save As dialog window worked normally for the known problematic document.I think it may be a bug with the framework but for now the workaround I have used is to remove the Warmup key.

Regards,

Yogesh

Monday, February 9, 2015 12:46 PM