none
Not enough memory to perform this operation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

There is one form in my database that is giving me trouble. Access tells me "There isn't enough memory to perform this operation. Close unneeded programs and try the operation again" when I try to open it. The form is not very complicated it has a copy record button, add new record button and a lookup box. Any ideas on why it is bad? I figure I just need to delete and start from scratch. I am curious to know if this is a symptom of a larger problem though. I realize this is pretty general and vague so let me know what other information you need.

THANK YOU!

Stacey

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:07 PM

Answers

• I'll agree with Bob - this suggests that the Form is corrupt. At what point do you get the error? Can you open the form in Design view? If you press Ctrl-G to open the VBA editor and Compile the database, do you get any errors?

I would suggest deleting the form, Compact and Repair the database (to get rid of any residual bits of it), compile the database, and rebuild the form.

John W. Vinson/MVP
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Stacey

I'm no guru, but if the form did work ok earlier then I would suggest corruption.

Bob Fitz BizSoftware
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Hi Stacey,

I have to agree--it sounds like form corruption, although I usually get that if I have too many controls or too many subforms on the form.  Before starting from scratch what I try is renaming the form by adding OLD to the end of the name and then coping the form and saving the copy using the old name.  I sometimes try the undocumented Saveastext and then load it back into my database.  Also, I  am able able to fix it by exporting it to another database, renaming the existing form and then importing the form back into my database.

Best Regards,

Patrick

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:24 PM
  • I'll agree with Bob - this suggests that the Form is corrupt. At what point do you get the error? Can you open the form in Design view? If you press Ctrl-G to open the VBA editor and Compile the database, do you get any errors?

I would suggest deleting the form, Compact and Repair the database (to get rid of any residual bits of it), compile the database, and rebuild the form.

John W. Vinson/MVP
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:25 PM
  • I got the error before I could open it. It wouldn't open in design view either. I did the VBA Compile and got an unrelated error but nothing for the form that wouldn't open. I deleted, compacted & repaired and then rebuilt. It seems to be working okay now. Thanks for the help!
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 5:15 PM
  • This happens to me occassionally.

One tip to add is that you can goto the corrupted form's code module in the VBE and copy the code before you delete the form.

This saves you having to rewrite the code behind the form.

Friday, October 8, 2010 2:23 AM
  • Stacy,

Here is a link to Allen Browne's Recovering from corruption.  When I receive the out of memory space, it is because the form is corrupt.  However, if you look at Allen's last suggestion using SaveAsText / LoadFromText has saved me from deleting the form and re-doing the form.  I've used this a couple of times and it has worked each time.

Sorry you lost some work.

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

Dennis

Dennis Solis
    • Edited by DenSolis Saturday, October 9, 2010 4:21 AM forgot the link
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 4:20 AM