none
It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Jag have a simple (and old, from 2001)ASP web-site on a IIS web-server. Everything works fine when i access it locally on the server. But when i access it from another computer and enter the credentials to log in I recieve the following:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '\\Mek-fs-05\files\PROG\Bokslut_data.mdb' It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

/inc/DB.asp, line 34

Note:

#The site works OK when i access it on the server where its hosted.
    #I have triple checked that (when accessing remote) I belong to a group that have full folder and file access for the .mdb concerned.
    Anyone tips on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance,

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:31 PM

All replies

• I would suspect that it is a permissions issue. First there should be a .LDB file that is created when the database is open for shared use. If it is not then the database is opened for exclusive use. Also, any user accessing the database must be able to create, update and delete the .LDB file, so full access will be required.

Not sure what type of authentication the web app implements but that could be part of the problem.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Friday, December 14, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Hi Paul,

thanks for fast reply. There is a .LDB file created.

Note that site works fine when accessed from the same computer where the site is hosted. Also, If i place the .mdb on the same machin as the IIS, it works fine accessing from another machine.

Problem arise first when another computer is trying to access and .mdb is not on the same machine as the IIS. The user have full access to the .mdb file(and higher folder), and nobody else is using the .mdb file.

The web app uses integrated Windows authentication.

Obviously it seems that the user doesnt authenticate when trying to access the .mdb file. I dont understand why though.  Any tips on how to proceed?

br

Paul

• Edited by paujoh-8 Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:01 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:41 PM
  • How do you reference the database file when it is on a machine different than where the web server is hosted? Do you use a UNC path to the file?

Also, there could be a trust issue between the systems since it involves a (Kerberos) double hop scenario. IIS doesn't typically delegate credentials (authentication token actually) on to another machine in the network under integrated Windows authentication.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:34 PM